bellhousing broke in two - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2009, 09:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Front mounts/tailshaft trans mount; it just broke over time/use. If you were to use a midmount, that was also isolated, I think that would work; either a full block plate or the "type" used in tri-five applications. There are some circle track bellhousing mounts that have isolators. Cut the bell off your trans and go with an Ultrabell if you don't want to go with another trans case. But use a midmount of some type, and mounts that absorb more than the urethane type. AND, get your wheelhop problem taken care of.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 PM
???????

Last photo:

yes my steering is bent i have to make new links with clevis ends the first launch it came back down and then my steering was off a little that was the problem.

it does have a full cross member at the tail housing but between the reverse mount master cylinder and the trans all that is left it the bottom half of it.

i am worried about cutting the bell off and going with a bolt on my luck i will snap the bolts.

i guess i am trying to get a diffinitive answer or fix for this befor i procced, so i dont procced in the wrong direction.

thanks everyone for the input so far i am still thinking over everything everyone has said and the pros/cons of everything.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:18 AM

I just went back and looked at you pics again, saw something I did'nt see the first time. You're not running a modulator valve, makes for a harder shift. Has it always run without the modulator? I still say midmount it, and you'll be fine. The front mount is a bit primative, but if it works, don't change it. What kind of car, engine, and numbers on the track?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:02 AM

Last photo:

After years of seeing this in dirt tracking esp. on rough tracks I would suggest the batwing mounts will cure your problem.But I would also either leave the tranny mount on with no bolts or the bolts loose(to prevent binding) or build a brace such as many circle trackers use.It bolts to the bell and using square tubing runs rearward with a tranny tail mount on it.Just imagine goining from the tranny mount to the bell with rods for bracing and you got it my description ain't the greatest.But again just letting the trans rest on the crossmember without being bolted and using the batwings will solve the problem..The one other thing I can think of that will do this is driveshaft imbalance.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:36 AM
???????

Last photo:

any one have any pics of what the dirt track guys do with the tail bracing?

several people mentioned it and its hard to picture exactly how its done, also the batwing mounts how would i mount them to a rubber or urethene mount??
Old 06-14-2009, 08:59 AM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

By looking at the pics, your rear crossmember is nothing more than a steel strap. This is not rigid enough for a mount. I can see where it is sagging at the trans mount.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:34 AM
???????

Last photo:

i am going to reinforce the mount but i am still trying to figure out if i want to go all solid mounts or bell housing mounts with rubber, really i am lost i have read everyones posts more than a few times.

in order for me to use the side mount on the motor i will have to get a differnt steering colume and put a rack and pinion in it.

the trans didnt shift hard it was a firm positive shift no slipping barely felt a bump when driving it just shifted very high.

cleaning garage today so i can start to pull the motor.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

What it is is a piece of 2 inch square tubing about a foot long with 2 holes drilled to match the mount holes on the tailshaft.Then from here 2 square tubes up to the back of the bell housing. Then you can weld them to the elephant ears you can put the ears after the trans instead of in between the trans and engine if you wish .I would install longer dowels in the back of the block for extra support.You can use a piece of rubber or urethane between the frame mount and the ear for a cushion.A piece cut from a semi mud flap or even an old tire sidewall works well just drill a 1/2 inch hole in it for your mount bolt. Also for street use the brace isn't absolutly neccassary just extra insurance many race every week without it and no problems. Your current mount method puts to much stress on the bell it is trying to support the wt. of the trans and engine and will fail sometimes just takes longer than others.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:30 PM
???????

Last photo:

i have done alot of thinking and i think the best route is to go with a front plate and a midplate by the bellhousing and leave the tail mount just for weight support(no bolts to frame). i will use the same hard bushing for all mounts.

real question is should i weld the bell or replace the case.

i really dont want to break another case trying to get it right.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:59 PM
More for Less Racer

Welding the bell isn't going to last. Replace it with an Ultrabell(bolts to front pump) or replace the trans case. The Ultrabell is a lot stronger than any factory case could ever be, just costs some coin.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Matter has been taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keesey1985
yes one is my cell phone and one is my laptop.
Multiple memberships are not allowed on Hotrodders.com

Last edited by Crosley; 06-15-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 AM
???????

Last photo:

who sells the ultra bell??

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 06-15-2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Other.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Of the many places that may sell it, Jegs is one of them.

Just a quick internet search to look it up, found a link to Jegs, a bit pricey, but will enable you to still use your now broken transmission.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:26 AM
???????

Last photo:

my only fear with a replacement bell is that i will break the pump bolts next,

i am going to fix the mount issue, with leaving the front mounts how they are and placeing a bell housing mount the elephant ear style and the remove the tailshaft mount to frame bolts so it is there for support, also try to run tubes or somthing to the elepahnt ears from the tail mount,

i think this is what every one is suggesting from my veiw.

thanks
ryan

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.