Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - belt tensioner assembly
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2005, 08:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bringing this back up for closure. I'd like to think that when one posts a problem, you should also provide closure so that the solution is open to everyone, even if its simplistic!! So, the belt started rubbing on itself due to a loose alt. pulley . It rounded out the hole enough to let the belt touch itself. So, I got another pulley & went through a belt trial fit ... then I found out that the pulley I'd bought, despite being same diameter across the outer, is about 3/8" under when you mike the inside where the grooves are!! Turns out that 4 cylinder pulleys are under enough to let the belt touch itself while the proper 5.0 liter Mustang pulley gives you JUST enough room when the tensioner comes down. Serpentines are not adjustable with slide grooves so the pulley size is critical! Looking back its easy but like so many things in the sport when you start crossing up stuff for your hot rod , its NOT!!