Hot Rod Forum banner

Bench Bleeding?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ed ke6bnl 
#1 ·
Let see flame nomex underwear in place, so here I go.

Ok so I admit it, my dad was the brake man in the family and this is something I never saw him do. Now that he is gone I can't ask him about it so here goes. Since I'm putting a ne MC in my never ending project Jag, how do you bench bleed a master cylinder?

Thanks
Mark :confused: but :D

[ April 17, 2003: Message edited by: Jag Daddy ]</p>

#2 ·
Get a short section of premade brake line with the correct size fittings at the parts store. Cut it in half and bend the tubes around so they fit into the chambers of the MC below fluid level. Chuck (carefully) the MC into a vise. Fill the MC and use a piece of rod or some similar blunt tipped implement to push the plunger. Keep pushing until you see solid columns of fluid coming up from the ports in the bottom of the cylinder chambers. You will see bubbles at first. Take your time and push slowly and carefully.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info, the Jag however has a remote reservoir and it sits about 10 inches away from the MC. I think it would still work but just run the lines into the reservoir. It also seems like you could do this mounted in the car, is that possible?

Thanks
Mark
:D

[ April 17, 2003: Message edited by: Jag Daddy ]</p>

#5 ·
Just did it yesterday, has been years since I had done it before. The m/c came from autozone $16 whole dollars came with two screw in plastic plugs with barbed fitting and tubing and plastic part that supports the tubing over the bowl and even a cap for the hoses. We bumped about 3o times and still saw bubbles then I got a hyperdermic needle and fill the tupes b4 they could suck back air and soon after they where free of bubbles. I t was much easier to have my boy in thr truck pushing the pedal then to try to shove that piston in with a dowel. Good luck Ed ke6bnl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.