Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bending Exhaust pipe
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2004, 09:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bending Exhaust pipe

I have some 2 1/4" exhaust tubing that I want to bend. I don't have a pipe bender or anything like that. I was just wondering if there was any makeshift way to bend the pipe myself without taking it to a shop. I'm sure that taking it to a shop would be a lot easier, but I want to make this exhaust by myself. Plus this exhaust system is a lot of trial and error so I'd have to do the bending a little at a time. I was thinking of a couple ideas using a jack sort of like a hydraulic press, but I doubt a jack has enough force anyways. I was also thinking of heating up the joint the area that i want to bend it around something, but I don't have a torch. This is probably a stupid question, but would a wood fire get hot enough to get that pipe cherry red? I have a deep fire pit in my backyard and the coals in there get pretty damn hot. But I don't know what the temperature is. I wish I had an acetylene torch right about now. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Zeek