Hot Rod Forum banner

Bendpak SP-7x Flushmounting

9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Blazin72 
#1 ·
Hello everybody, it's been a long time since I've posted on this site but I've returned.

I'm wondering if anybody has installed a flush mounted lift in their garage or shop? I bought a Bendpak SP-7x scissor lift and I'd like to recess it into my slab. I'd love to read some insight from others that have done this or a similar job.

#2 ·
I would not wish to tackle that unless I had a set of drawings showing how much concrete and re-bar was needed and where the anchor bolts are to go as well as fully dimensioned. What I have been involved with in the past we saw cut the slab and excavated for the machinery foundation and poured a new foundation and slab at the proper elevation required. Drainage on that sort of installation is a big deal as we do not wish for a swimming pool in our shop..

Sam

#3 ·
I purchased an MD6 xp a couple months ago because I only have an 8' ceiling. A recessed floor is in the works for a winter project.
Make sure the lift is located in your shop where it's most effective, as it won't be easily moved once recessed. I plan to make the hole deep enough to have a lip around the circumference so a 3/4 plywood cover can be placed over it if a flat floor is needed for other projects. with planning, the frame lift points on the Bendpak can also serve as center supports for the lid. when you cut the hole, also make a passage over to where your lift pump will be located so you can run the hyd hose in it. then you don't have to run over it, or trip over it etc. make sure you plan for at least 6" of cement in the base of your recess, and tie into existing rebar if possible.
I drive my 62 Vett over the lift without ramps, but recessing the lift will sure give back some much needed room in my shop.
I should have bought the lift YEARS ago. best investment I've made in a long time. your body will thank you. :thumbup:
Russ

#4 ·
std slab

Most of those after market lifts are rated to be installed on a standard 4 in concrete floor. I installed a southworth table lift in my shop floor, it lowers to be flush.I did all the frame work and under floor conduit before I had the floor poured. To have yours recessed I would cut the hole in the concrete about a foot larger, excavate the dirt then drill into the existing floor and epoxey in 1/2 rebar dowels about 2 ft apart , z shaped and tie a rebar grid then form up and pour your concrete. If you are using round form stakes you can slip 1 ft pieces of 3/4 pvc sprinkler pipe over them to be able to pull them out, then just drill out some of the pvc and patch the holes. .

#5 ·
I appreciate the advice and after reading OneMoreTimes comment about swimming pools in the garage I decided to mount the lift on top of the slab. If I ever move to a new place and have a shop built I'll just have the slab formed for a recessed mount then. Anyway, this is the final result. The car BARELY clears when driving up the ramps.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.