Bent axle? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2006, 08:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bent axle?

Could a bent axle cause a vibration similar to a out of round brake drum?,I thought the rear drums were out of round on my 65 galaxie but new drums did not fix the problem. It also has a vibration above 60 and I am wondering it the two are related,I have not inspected it at this time but I am trying to get some ideas on what is causing these vibrations. Jeff

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

Does the vibration only come in above 60 mph?
I would address the most likely culprit first - tire and wheel vibration due to imbalance with the tire / wheel assembly.

Are you experiencing a brake pulsation? A pulsation feeling when applying the brakes? Do you have front disc brakes?

Additional information will help identify the potential problem.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

I am having a shudder comming from the back when the brakes are applied,I found it by appling the emergency brakes.I dont feel anything through the pedal only the rear of the car shaking and new brake drums did not help. The vibration comming from the rear probably is always there as the floor ****er always shakes but is really noticable above 60 and I have new tires on the rear and I would think when they were balanced the installer would of mentioned the rim bent due to too much weights needed so it gets me to thinking a rear axle is bent causing the vibration and the shudder when stopping. Jeff
Old 07-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last photo:

Hi Jeff,

Here are some thoughts I have from most to least likely.

Rear brake shudder possibilities
-axle seal or wheel cylinder leak allowing oil / fluid to contaminate the brake shoes. I'd pull the rear drums to check.
-out of round brake drum
-brake drum not mounting flat on axle surface
You can check run out of the axle easily enough with a dial indicator.

The vibration over 60
-tire wheel imbalance. Has a weight come off or the tire shifted position on the wheel?
-wheel bent
-drive shaft removed and reinstalled 180 degrees off
-u-joint failing
-drive shaft imbalance
-drive shaft joint angles
-bent pinion shaft
Old 07-09-2006, 10:17 PM

Last photo:

The vibration was worse as the front U joint I had installed at a local driveline shop failed with less the 3000 miles so its much better now but there is something still there. I am going to put the rear on jack stands and watch the wheels turn and then remove the drums and check the axles as I do have a dial indicator somewhere,I need to inspect the shoes also as they came off a car I parted and but over 75 percent of lining on so that might be the shuddering. The drums and shoes that were originally on the car were toast and I had a set of drums and good shoes from a parts car so I put them on but it seemed the drums were out of round so I bought new ones and still the same so it could be in the shoes as I dont remember it doing it before the shoes were put on. I never drove this car above 60 before I changed the motor and trans and I do not know the history so the vibration from the rear could be a bent axle of could be from the driveshaft as it came from a parts car with unknow history too. Jeff
Old 07-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjeff
The vibration was worse as the front U joint I had installed at a local driveline shop failed with less the 3000 miles so its much better now but there is something still there.
This indicates either an improper installation, an incorrect joint angle, a bad tail shaft bushing or worn transmission mount. The front and rear drive shaft joint angles should be the same within 1/2 degree. If not a second order driveshaft vibration will occur.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

vibrations from driveline

other causes for driveline vibrations above 60 mph, are : loose transmission to bellhousing bolt, loose bellhousing to block bolts. bad transmission mount. faulty u-joints, bent axles,driveshaft etc. if u let it keep on it will absolutely destroy your car if u drive above 60 alot.i had all of these symptoms and the out come was not so pleasant. A broken driveshaft exploded bellhousing, smashed and wrinkled bottom side of body. broke gas tank. and 20 bucks of gas on the highway. i`m almost rounded up all the parts to put it back together. it`s an expensive process.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:03 PM

Last photo:

Its a bent rim,I am going to get two new rims for the rear. I am going to replace the brake shoes to get rid of the shudder when the brakes are applied as it has to be them as I just put on two new drums. Jeff

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.