Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bernzomatic Mapp Gas torch q's
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 06:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You will find that it is illegal to refill those bottles. The Oxygen could be refilled from a regular tank but it would be EXTREMELY dangerous without the right high pressure fittings and hoses (and a full understanding of what you are dealing with) and in the case of that disposable bottle you would also need either a special regulator or refill it from a tank that has only as much pressure as the disposable one came with when full. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ATTEMPT TO REFILL THAT MAPP BOTTLE!!! MAPP is a modified acetylene mixture and while it is much more stable than regular Acetylene it still takes special equipment and process to fill the tank. I guess I should say that you should not attempt to refill that oxygen bottle either and I would strongly recommend not attempting it but unlike the fuel gas it actually only involves transferring Oxygen from a full tank to an empty one much like airing up a tank from a compressor. The problem is you would need to have lines and fittings that could withstand the pressures involved and it would need to be done from a tank that has pressure so low as to not over-pressurize the disposable bottle. Bear in mind this is tricky, dangerous and illegal but it can be done.