Best 110V welder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 07:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Best 110V welder

I'm to the point where everything that has come apart has to start going back together..I know we have all been there...Question is what company makes the best 110V MIG welder out there.. I will be using a non-sheilded wire for cleaner welds with a 25/75 gas mix..I'm torn between a Lincoln 135 PLUS and the Miller 135/Millermatic....HELP me make up my mind...Thanks, Dale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2006, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

The Miller is the top of the line. I have the 135 and taught myself to weld with it. Supposedly it has more metal parts where as the parts in the Lincoln are plastic. And According to my Welding dealer they quit selling and servicing Lincoln cause it was hard to get parts for them.

Hobart is good also and is made by Miller but like the Lincoln it has more plastic parts then metal.

I dont think you can go wrong with the Miller.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:11 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

This thread should be in the Garage-Tools forum, so I am moving it there..............
Old 01-13-2006, 12:41 PM

I purchased an HTP (140) about 5 years ago, and couldn't be happier. You can look at thier machines at usaweld.com (I think) I am not associated with the company in any way. Just a very pleased customer. Yes, you will have to keep some consumables on hand, but it has a ton of features, and is very well made. Check them out.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

Mavrick, I agree that The Miller is one of the best home machines built but let's be fair it is just that, ONE of the best. It is NOT hard to get parts for the Lincoln, they are one of the largest welder manufacturers in the world with service centers and parts suppliers easy to find. Small Lincoln welders are extremely popular and they are NOT made of cheap plastic parts, they are well built and very dependable. That old "urban legend" about Hobart and Miller is not true, Hobart is NOT made by Miller. This story got started when Hobart was bought by ITW who also owns Miller so they are both are owned by the same parent company but are separate entities sort of like Chevy, Buick and Pontiac are separate entities under GM. Miller makes a fine welder but Lincoln and Hobart are in no way "second best" and it does a disservice to two very reputable American companies to say otherwise.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:21 PM

The lincoln has a plastic wheel for the wire drive, where the miller is metal.
I just gave my two sons the miller sidekick 110 I had for close to twenty years, never broke down, I bought the miller 135, the lincoln looked good but the plastic drive wheel turned me off, but that sidekick was and still is a good machine.
Rob
Old 01-13-2006, 06:31 PM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:

best 110 welder

I am no expert,but can give you my opinion. I have used several of the small 110 mig welders and after borrowing a lincoln it only took a few minutes of use for me to decide that the lincoln was the one for me. I havent used a miller,but the generic"tractor store" welders seem to feed the wire erraticly and are more difficult to get a decent weld with. The 110 lincoln will weld pretty much anything you need on a car,floor pans,body panels etc. I use my stick welder for the heavier stuff.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

39, Composite parts are sometimes used for various reasons and this is true of most machines but it does not mean they are built of inferior cheap plastic that will fall apart. The Lincoln has an excellent history of dependability and is a very good machine that deserves consideration if someone is in the market for a welder. The little Lincoln 110 and 220 volt outfits are a big seller for good reason and the Hobart welders in the same class are really good too.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:53 PM

Last journal entry: Matching Gibson Les Paul
Last photo:

Weld-Pac 100

I learned on a Lincoln stick welder. Then a few years ago my father in law gave me a 110 volt Lincoln Weld-Pac 100 wire feed. I welded for a couple of years with the flux core wire. Then I was faced with an aluminum project. So I broke down and bought the Mig steel kit and the Mig aluminum kit. Man what a difference in welding steel. My welds are alot nicer. And to be able to weld aluminum period is a huge bonus. And it only takes a few minuets to change the feed sleeve and gases over from steel to aluminum or back. I think this 110 welder is fairly inexpensive and it does everything I need. And never a problem so far. I only spent a little over $300 for the mig kits including the purchase of both bottles. So as an answer, I don't have any experience with the others but the Lincoln gets Two Thumbs UP!
Old 01-15-2006, 08:02 AM

My two cents is that Miller's customer service and support is second to none.
That being said, look at buying form a welding distributor instead of a box store. I've noticed that there are small differences in some of the machines in the same class of welder between the two retail sources.

buy from someone who can support you locally with parts, service and consumables. typically, if you have a good dealer in your area, they can and will be very close to the prices you find online, and they will be there to support you if the machine does have problems.

My personal preference is Miller, but I own a Lincoln squarewave 175 tig. I have 3 other Miller machines presently, and the only thing replacing them will be more Miller equipment. Hobart is owned by ITW as was mentioned before, and several miller parts end up in their units. Lincoln also makes a fine machine, but their customer support leaves something to be desired.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

Chumly, Now that's being fair and is the kind of advice one can use when trying to consider buying a welder. I did not recommend the Lincoln over the Miller even though Lincoln is my personal favorite as they have have served me VERY well for over 35 years. I own and have owned Lincoln, Miller and Hobart over the years and I can vouch for the quality of all of them but the Miller machines seem to be the most popular these days and for good reason. That does not mean someone should pass up the Lincoln or Hobart outfits because they have been told they are a lesser quality machine because this is not true and sometimes these welders can be had for a bargain price at some of the discount outlets although one really should consider the service advantage of the welding suppliers. As far as service on the Lincoln, just like any thing else, it depends on the dealer and in my case anyway service has never been any problem at all. My Lincoln LN-8 and LN-25 feeders are used in servicing mining equipment and have to take abuse and weather conditions that no machine could reasonably be expected to survive without giving trouble but these things are unbelievably dependable even in conditions such as that. I know these are industrial units but even the little 110 outfit that I use for light tack welding on duct piping because of it's portability rarely gives any trouble and this thing has beat around in my service truck until the dang paint is gone! There may be many reasons, such as different features or maybe price, to chose the Miller, Lincoln or Hobart but whichever one choses the quality is there.

BTW, Tractor Supply has a good selection of Hobart Welders and the Hobart Handler series, which is a very good machine, is on sale sometimes for a really good price. They are good also about stocking parts and consumables and can have the machine serviced if necessary.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:18 AM

Last photo:

110 Welders

All ready had a stick welder, but had a lot of sheetmetal work to do on a 37 Chevy, son in law and I bought a Lincoln weldpac 3200. We asked his brother who is a welder/ fabricator by trade and that was his recommendation. We have replaced all 1/4 panels, trunk panel, tailpan, etc. Also plugged the holes on my 46 Ford where the taillights used to reside. It works great, and we are amatuers. Just my opinion.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:38 AM

Last journal entry: Tube front clip
Last photo:

I second Miller.. Ive been running hobart and love it!
my first machine was a handler 175 and I beat the crap out of it!!!! after about 6 yrs it packed it in.. i phoned miller directly.. told them what it was doing... they took my address and sent me a brand new motherboard and drive motor.. over $400 in parts for free!!!!! and it was waaaaaaay past warranty!! I wont fork out for anything but Miller!
Old 01-17-2006, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

I have this Lincoln:

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...eet.asp?p=7082

The Plus model has the continuous full-range adjustment of voltage and wire feed speed that allows for fine-tuning of the arc and precise control of heat input. Much better than having just a few settings - definitely worth the extra dollars to get this feature if you are doing sheet-metal.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Old Salt

Last photo:

I understand Miller owns Hobart. You may notice the Miller 135 and Hobart 180 is basically the same unit.

I've been told the Miller 135 will do anything a backyard garage person would need.

Dutch

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.