Hot Rod Forum banner

Best 60s Issue of Hot Rod Magazine and best 50s Issue of Car Craft

4K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  MXrider13 
#1 ·
At the Flea market this guy has a bunch of old issues of Car Craft and Hot Rod that he is selling for $7 each. For Car Craft he has He has December from 53, he has April, August, June and July for 54 and then all of 55-59, everyone of them.
For Hot Rod he has everyone from Jan 66 to Dec 71 all in good condition.
So if I had to pick out one Car Craft and one Hot Rod what should I pick. I like drag racing a lot and just a great look at the 50s and 60s. So what one do you think I should get?

#8 ·
I got a job in 69 in the oil fields on a pulling unit that payed $5.50 an hr. and bought a used 58 chevy with my first check. I thought I was rich!. It ran good as long as you didn't leave the small town of McCook Ne. cause second gear in the Powerglide was gone. :D

#11 ·
Slipangle said:
Dang kid, how young are you? I was working for Lionel Trains for $6.25 and that was high end, this was going back just as far as '97 or thereabouts (just a couple years before they closed domestic manufacturing)
Im only 20 and I was working for $7.75 and could barely afford my stock 89 S10 with that, soon I will have a job as an executive assistant and be making $13.

#13 ·
My best ( first) issue is early sixties Hot Rod mag. Howards Cam special dragster. Twin Bear had won the Nationals. Two Chevrolets side by side with a piece of plywood for a nose.. Cover car..

From that month till the late seventies. I bought two Hot Rod mags a month. One to read and the other to hoard..Plus at least eight other different car mags per month..

Between a house fire and a garage roof cave in. I lost most of them..

#14 ·
Once having tasted Hot Rod I searched and found a small shop in my hometown that had imported mags, Hot Rod was one of those.
Later I came across Car Craft and bought that every month too.
When I went to Germany I soon located an import bookshop and
was buying them again, they saved me a copy of each every month.
When I came to Spain I had them sent from England by family, now I get them shipped from an American mag importer over there.

#15 ·
malc said:
"For your first Issue how good was it? How well do you remember it?"

Obviously the original copy I had just plain wore out.
The scan you see is a replacement bought off e-bay, just had to have it again.

Here´s the index page. :thumbup:

And a taster...............

n/Petty_43_III.jpg[/IMG]
I love how detailed it is! I think Ill buy that issue next week and one of the random 50s car crafts.

#16 ·
MXrider13 said:
I love how detailed it is! I think Ill buy that issue next week and one of the random 50s car crafts.
Oh Oh Oh! get the 1955! If not that yr. try the year they spotlighted the new 409 cu. in. :mwink: If I remember correctly, Car Craft used to be separate from Hot Rod and then they merged. It disappointed me because they used to offer two different points of view. Now, it's like the same with just two different covers. :smash: I used to hope that they would someday have a build contest and then a heads up race to see who could come up with the fastest! Imagine that, Car Craft vs Hot rod, Who would win? :D
I've still got boxes of old mags that maybe I should dig out of the closet. Might be worth something today. :cool:

#17 ·
sqzbox said:
Oh Oh Oh! get the 1955! If not that yr. try the year they spotlighted the new 409 cu. in. :mwink: If I remember correctly, Car Craft used to be separate from Hot Rod and then they merged. It disappointed me because they used to offer two different points of view. Now, it's like the same with just two different covers. :smash: I used to hope that they would someday have a build contest and then a heads up race to see who could come up with the fastest! Imagine that, Car Craft vs Hot rod, Who would win? :D
I've still got boxes of old mags that maybe I should dig out of the closet. Might be worth something today. :cool:
Ill probably get one of the 55 car crafts, as for a Hot Rod vs Car Craft that would be good but what be the rules be fastest street drag car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.