Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   best adhesive on intake manifold gasket??? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/best-adhesive-intake-manifold-gasket-107883.html)

29A 01-29-2007 10:22 PM

best adhesive on intake manifold gasket???
 
I'm installing a new intake manifold on my 350 chevy, the felpro gasket which already has a silicone bead around all the ports on one side of the gasket, states you can put adhisive or thin layer of RTV on the block side of the gasket to hold it in place. I'm going to put RTV around the water ports but I would like to use adhesive on the rest of the gasket to hold it to the block, thing is I can't find any info on what type of adhesive that would be. I have some contact cement but that just does'nt feel right... Felpro supplies cork end gaskets with self adhesive ( the old style was rubber and I understand they could leak) I've read a 1/4" silicone bead is better. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Lance

MI2600 01-29-2007 10:41 PM

I use the black RTV only on the water ports, and the same on the ends with no end gaskets. Trial fit your manifold dry to observe the gaps on the ends.

327NUT 01-30-2007 03:04 AM

I use regular Gasketcinch on the intake manifold gaskets and a 1/4" bead of silicone on the ends, works for me.

1ownerT 01-30-2007 04:36 AM

I wouldn't put anything on the gasket around the water ports, it is made to seal with out any assistance.
To hold the gasket for assembly, I put a couple of dabs of contact adhesive on it.
I use a bead of RTV on the ends.

302 Z28 01-30-2007 06:31 AM

If you use high quality gaskets you do not need any gasket sealer or cement. FelPro especialy has sealent already on the gaskets around the water ports. The only place I would even consider using anything would be at the four corners where the front and rear gaskets meet the side gaskets, then it is only a dab at best.

Vince

pepi 01-30-2007 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302/Z28
If you use high quality gaskets you do not need any gasket sealer or cement. FelPro especialy has sealent already on the gaskets around the water ports. The only place I would even consider using anything would be at the four corners where the front and rear gaskets meet the side gaskets, then it is only a dab at best.

Vince


Totally agree!! a good indication is the FACT that the factory does not use the goops.

Porschev 01-30-2007 11:59 AM

I have the Felpro blue set that I will be installing in the next week.

It says to use some "quick dry contact cement" to hold the main gaskets in place during assembly, I think it also says a dab of RTV where the main gaskets and the smaller side cork gaskets meet.

Also, should I use the cork gaskets? They are included in the set. They are "peel and stick" to hold them in place. Should I use them, or use RTV in their place?

If they are no good to use, why does FelPro keep including them in their kit??

Rick WI 01-30-2007 01:22 PM

We use weatherstrip adhesive to hold the gasket in place so it doesn't shift on install. Easy and quick and has worked for us for years and years.

Don't use the cork gaskets use a bead of silicone. Run the bead up and over the stuck on intake gaskets into the corner.

Why in the package? Habit I guess.

engineczar 01-30-2007 01:43 PM

To go along with what everyone is saying. Before you run the bead of RTV on the end rails, clean the end rails on both the block and the intake with brake clean. Spray some on a clean rag, wipe and then let it evaporate. This gets rid of any residual oil that may be there. RTV is great but doesn't stick well to oil.

red65mustang 01-30-2007 02:05 PM

29A,
light coat of gasketcinch or contact adhesive, why? the felpro gaskets ports were cut based on the OEM intake smaller port demensions, the new manifold ports are bigger, (less movement error allowed)

just relying on the tabs to keep it located allows to much possible movement especially forward and back when installing

if cutting the locator tabs off helps line them up better on the head ports, do it, when the gasket is compressed it "extrudes" to become a smaller opening, you want a equal margin around the port when it is glued

for more "alignment insurance" (ex:port matched heads)? the bolt holes on the new intake are to big, to much slop.... 4-3/8"OD-1/4"ID $1 bushings from a hardware store (Lowes has them) grind/file the OD so it just slips into the bolt hole (the casting is not a round hole), drill the 1/4"ID to 5/16ths so the bolt will just slip thru......use those four holes with the bushings spaced around the manifold to initially snug down the intake.....now the intake is centered exact forward and rear and level left to right.....snug down some more bolts, go back and remove the bushings

GearJamminHero 01-30-2007 02:06 PM

Could you just use some small dowels in the corner holes to hold it in place while you set the manifold on? Just pull them out after setting the manifold on and putting in a few of the fasteners. Least that is how I do it. No possibility of RTV getting sucked into your engine that way.

1ownerT 01-30-2007 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearJamminHero
Could you just use some small dowels in the corner holes to hold it in place while you set the manifold on? Just pull them out after setting the manifold on and putting in a few of the fasteners. Least that is how I do it. No possibility of RTV getting sucked into your engine that way.

When the intake bolts go through the intake into the head at an angle, you cannot install dowels...there is no way to set the intake over them. If the bolts were to install vertical...then it would be possible.

Rick WI 01-30-2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engineczar
To go along with what everyone is saying. Before you run the bead of RTV on the end rails, clean the end rails on both the block and the intake with brake clean. Spray some on a clean rag, wipe and then let it evaporate. This gets rid of any residual oil that may be there. RTV is great but doesn't stick well to oil.

That is correct, all the surfaces, head and end rails really need to be very clean and free of all old debris and oil. That is very important.

If you buy the correct intake gaskets matching the port size is not an issue. No need to make this very easy and common procedure any more complicted than it really is.

lowstreet 01-30-2007 04:31 PM

black rtv work well.
Just clean the end rails with brake cleaner.

GearJamminHero 01-30-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ownerT
When the intake bolts go through the intake into the head at an angle, you cannot install dowels...there is no way to set the intake over them. If the bolts were to install vertical...then it would be possible.

You could use something a bit more flexible and thin, perhaps pieces of coat hanger or something similiar? Stick it through the corner holes in the manifold, through the gasket and then to the heads. Toss a couple of fasteners into the center pieces then pull the wires out, may make things easier.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.