best adhesive on intake manifold gasket??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 10:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

best adhesive on intake manifold gasket???

I'm installing a new intake manifold on my 350 chevy, the felpro gasket which already has a silicone bead around all the ports on one side of the gasket, states you can put adhisive or thin layer of RTV on the block side of the gasket to hold it in place. I'm going to put RTV around the water ports but I would like to use adhesive on the rest of the gasket to hold it to the block, thing is I can't find any info on what type of adhesive that would be. I have some contact cement but that just does'nt feel right... Felpro supplies cork end gaskets with self adhesive ( the old style was rubber and I understand they could leak) I've read a 1/4" silicone bead is better. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Lance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I use the black RTV only on the water ports, and the same on the ends with no end gaskets. Trial fit your manifold dry to observe the gaps on the ends.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:04 AM

Last photo:

I use regular Gasketcinch on the intake manifold gaskets and a 1/4" bead of silicone on the ends, works for me.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:36 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I wouldn't put anything on the gasket around the water ports, it is made to seal with out any assistance.
To hold the gasket for assembly, I put a couple of dabs of contact adhesive on it.
I use a bead of RTV on the ends.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:31 AM
Last photo:

If you use high quality gaskets you do not need any gasket sealer or cement. FelPro especialy has sealent already on the gaskets around the water ports. The only place I would even consider using anything would be at the four corners where the front and rear gaskets meet the side gaskets, then it is only a dab at best.

Vince
Old 01-30-2007, 07:02 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
If you use high quality gaskets you do not need any gasket sealer or cement. FelPro especialy has sealent already on the gaskets around the water ports. The only place I would even consider using anything would be at the four corners where the front and rear gaskets meet the side gaskets, then it is only a dab at best.

Vince

Totally agree!! a good indication is the FACT that the factory does not use the goops.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

I have the Felpro blue set that I will be installing in the next week.

It says to use some "quick dry contact cement" to hold the main gaskets in place during assembly, I think it also says a dab of RTV where the main gaskets and the smaller side cork gaskets meet.

Also, should I use the cork gaskets? They are included in the set. They are "peel and stick" to hold them in place. Should I use them, or use RTV in their place?

If they are no good to use, why does FelPro keep including them in their kit??
Old 01-30-2007, 01:22 PM

We use weatherstrip adhesive to hold the gasket in place so it doesn't shift on install. Easy and quick and has worked for us for years and years.

Don't use the cork gaskets use a bead of silicone. Run the bead up and over the stuck on intake gaskets into the corner.

Why in the package? Habit I guess.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

To go along with what everyone is saying. Before you run the bead of RTV on the end rails, clean the end rails on both the block and the intake with brake clean. Spray some on a clean rag, wipe and then let it evaporate. This gets rid of any residual oil that may be there. RTV is great but doesn't stick well to oil.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

29A,
light coat of gasketcinch or contact adhesive, why? the felpro gaskets ports were cut based on the OEM intake smaller port demensions, the new manifold ports are bigger, (less movement error allowed)

just relying on the tabs to keep it located allows to much possible movement especially forward and back when installing

if cutting the locator tabs off helps line them up better on the head ports, do it, when the gasket is compressed it "extrudes" to become a smaller opening, you want a equal margin around the port when it is glued

for more "alignment insurance" (ex:port matched heads)? the bolt holes on the new intake are to big, to much slop.... 4-3/8"OD-1/4"ID $1 bushings from a hardware store (Lowes has them) grind/file the OD so it just slips into the bolt hole (the casting is not a round hole), drill the 1/4"ID to 5/16ths so the bolt will just slip thru......use those four holes with the bushings spaced around the manifold to initially snug down the intake.....now the intake is centered exact forward and rear and level left to right.....snug down some more bolts, go back and remove the bushings

Last edited by red65mustang; 01-30-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:06 PM
4cyl Pentastar Fanatic

Could you just use some small dowels in the corner holes to hold it in place while you set the manifold on? Just pull them out after setting the manifold on and putting in a few of the fasteners. Least that is how I do it. No possibility of RTV getting sucked into your engine that way.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearJamminHero
Could you just use some small dowels in the corner holes to hold it in place while you set the manifold on? Just pull them out after setting the manifold on and putting in a few of the fasteners. Least that is how I do it. No possibility of RTV getting sucked into your engine that way.
When the intake bolts go through the intake into the head at an angle, you cannot install dowels...there is no way to set the intake over them. If the bolts were to install vertical...then it would be possible.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineczar
To go along with what everyone is saying. Before you run the bead of RTV on the end rails, clean the end rails on both the block and the intake with brake clean. Spray some on a clean rag, wipe and then let it evaporate. This gets rid of any residual oil that may be there. RTV is great but doesn't stick well to oil.
That is correct, all the surfaces, head and end rails really need to be very clean and free of all old debris and oil. That is very important.

If you buy the correct intake gaskets matching the port size is not an issue. No need to make this very easy and common procedure any more complicted than it really is.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:31 PM
car builder

Last photo:

black rtv work well.
Just clean the end rails with brake cleaner.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:59 PM
4cyl Pentastar Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
When the intake bolts go through the intake into the head at an angle, you cannot install dowels...there is no way to set the intake over them. If the bolts were to install vertical...then it would be possible.
You could use something a bit more flexible and thin, perhaps pieces of coat hanger or something similiar? Stick it through the corner holes in the manifold, through the gasket and then to the heads. Toss a couple of fasteners into the center pieces then pull the wires out, may make things easier.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.