Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   Best aerosol spray adhesive? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/best-aerosol-spray-adhesive-145552.html)

ScotY 09-23-2008 07:38 PM

Best aerosol spray adhesive?

I want to glue on foam headliner, it's the type that is about 1/8" thick, foam with a thin velour type material bonded to it. I will be gluing this to a thin ply headliner form. Can anyone recommend the best type of spray adhesive/contact cement to use? Past experience has told me that if you use the wrong type, you'll be redoing it again soon.

Thanks, Scot

71corvette 09-23-2008 08:08 PM

3M aresol spray trim adhesive is pretty good

ScotY 09-23-2008 09:09 PM

Do you happen to know which 3M adhesive is best? There used to be a 3M Super 77 (or something like that) but I don't see it anymore. Didn't work well anyway.

Seems all I see nowadays is a 3M General Purpose adhesive (claims a medium strength hold) and a super-duper version with hard hold. The hard hold stuff says not to use on some types of foam. I don't know what type of foam headliner is made from.

I think we used to use 3M 90 (or was it 99?) and that worked okay but heat would eventually make it let go.

lanceks1 09-23-2008 10:05 PM

3M Super 77

Has always, and still does work good for me. Especially if you spray both sides let set, then adhere. Can't remember any object coming loose. ;)

DanTwoLakes 09-24-2008 06:58 AM

The foam bonded to the velour fabric is an open cell polyurethane foam. Your best bet is to use a high temp spray grade contact adhesive like DAP Weldwood top and trim adhesive, 3-M Top and trim adhesive, or Helmitin Helmiprene, even if you have to spray or brush it on for a headliner. There is also a product called K-Grip 202 High Temp. All of those are best if sprayed. If I were you, I would invest in a cheap spray gun from Harbor Freight with at least a 2MM nozzle (They only cost about $20. Part # is 43760-6RBA) and use one of the bulk adhesives.

Do not use 3-M 74 or 77. They are general purpose adhesives and will fail if used on your headliner.

DAP makes an aerosol called Weldwood top and trim spray, and 3-M makes 08090 Super Trim adhesive. There is also a spray called Performance High Temp contact adhesive. All of those are your next best bet, but they are not really recommended for foam backed headliners. Here's a link to some of these: CLICK HERE Good luck.

willys36@aol.com 09-24-2008 07:18 AM

3M77 is general purpose and not intended for permanent work. 3M99 is the super grip version and is the one used by some (most) pros for the permanent jobs in upholstery like headliners.

302 Z28 09-24-2008 08:01 AM

3M #77 :( :nono: :nono:

Vince

DanTwoLakes 09-24-2008 08:46 AM

I have never had any luck with either 3-M 74 or 3-M 77, and I use adhesives every day.

cornfieldcars 09-24-2008 12:05 PM

I just finished insulating the cab of me truck including the headliner....I used 3M's "super trim adhesive". don't recall there being a number on it like 77 which I was warned about. Seems to hold very well but then it's only been a month.

Barry

DanTwoLakes 09-24-2008 01:43 PM

3-M 08090 aerosol Super trim adhesive will work just fine for that application. Holding headliner fabric up is not it's best use.

ScotY 09-24-2008 06:45 PM

Thanks Dan, that's great info! I will search for the DAP and 3M top and trim spray cans but I have a feeling I'm going to have to settle for the 3M 08090 Super trim adhesive since that's about all I've seen around here.

DanTwoLakes 09-24-2008 09:24 PM

You're welcome Scot. Go back 6 posts and click on the link I left you. You can get most of the aerosols I mentioned there.

ScotY 09-25-2008 12:36 AM

Hi Dan,

Thank you...I did take a look at the link, mostly just to see what the product labels look like so I can try to find them locally.

See, the problem is I live in the middle of the Pacific and it's pretty much impossible to order anything like paint or aerosol stuff over here. It's frustrating to no end!

I've been wanting to get some SPI epoxy primer and have just about given up trying to figure out how to get it here. :( If anyone knows how, please contact me as there are so many products I'd like to get but haven't been able to figure out how.

schlock rod 10-14-2008 09:48 AM

A good adhesive for headliners is the 3M 8088, General Trim Adhesive. It has an adjustable spray nozzle, and goes on in a nice lacey pattern. I have used it for several years, and haven't had any problems with it. The 3M 8090 Super Trim Adhesive works as well, but does carry a much stronger odor that sometimes stays around longer than you would want. They are both available at Wal-Mart for under $10.00 a can, which is cheaper than at the local auto parts store.

Schlock Rod

ScotY 10-15-2008 01:15 AM

This is kind of a dumb question but, aside from taping off and covering up the entire interior of the vehicle, is there some trick to spraying this stuff so it doesn't get on everything?