Hot Rod Forum banner

best bet?

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  techinspector1 
#1 ·
Hey, I am looking for some suggestions on 69 dart project. The car now has a 318 auto 3 speed 2 barrel. The motor is coming out and I am undecided on what to put in. I have always liked the 340. With stock 10 plus compression pistons, a wild cam and maybe 360 ported heads and some other stuff my goal would be to get as close to 450 hp. People are trying to talk me into bigger cubes like 440, for the torque. Budget is limited and car is for Sunday drives not racing. A built 340 would be any easy swap out from the existing 318. All suggestions most appreciated.
Steve

#2 ·
Rebuildable 340 engines are getting tough to come by, you better have deep pockets if you want one. If you want more power go with more cubes and get a 360, they are a dime a dozen. The 360 can be stroked up to 408 or even larger cubes. A small block doesn't have the weight of a 440 and fits alot better in A Bodied cars. Headers would be a nightmare with a 440, as would trying to have power steering. If your starter ever goes out on a 440 powered Dart, you will not be a very happy camper when changing it. On a 440 powered Dart you will have to beef up the front end, use a 727 trans and run at a minimum a 8 3/4 or Dana 60 rearend. I was thinking about going the big block route on my 72 Dart but came to this conclusion, but this is just me.

#5 ·
69 dart said:
Hey, I am looking for some suggestions on 69 dart project. The car now has a 318 auto 3 speed 2 barrel. The motor is coming out and I am undecided on what to put in. I have always liked the 340. With stock 10 plus compression pistons, a wild cam and maybe 360 ported heads and some other stuff my goal would be to get as close to 450 hp. People are trying to talk me into bigger cubes like 440, for the torque. Budget is limited and car is for Sunday drives not racing. A built 340 would be any easy swap out from the existing 318. All suggestions most appreciated.
Steve
Budget limited and for Sunday drives ????

120 % times cubes =
390 hp with a 318/323
440 hp with a 360/366

You are talking $ 5000,,,,,, either takes some expensive head work and parts.

Consider a bit more conservative. I have seen some really good 318/360 cars....

can you spell Nawwsss ????

check out www.readershotrods.com drag cars/georges drag strip

#7 ·
360 good 340 better if you can get your hands on one

I have a 66 barracuda and I have done the swap that you are talking about. I spent the money on the 340. But I tripped across a 70 340 short block that needed to be rebuilt for about 400.00. the problem that you will run into wiht the 360 is that it is an externally balenced which means that you will not be able to use the transmission that you are currently using. You will not only have to buy a motor you will need a different transmission. I went from a 273 to a 318 to a 340. If you do it right you can get about 350-400 hp out of that 318 and people would make fun of you untill you roasted them on the track. Joel

#8 ·
cuda66 said:
I have a 66 barracuda and I have done the swap that you are talking about. I spent the money on the 340. But I tripped across a 70 340 short block that needed to be rebuilt for about 400.00. the problem that you will run into wiht the 360 is that it is an externally balenced which means that you will not be able to use the transmission that you are currently using. You will not only have to buy a motor you will need a different transmission. I went from a 273 to a 318 to a 340. If you do it right you can get about 350-400 hp out of that 318 and people would make fun of you untill you roasted them on the track. Joel
You say that you have to change the ENTIRE transmission??? Wow I thought sure somebody made parts for Mopars......

#9 ·
Mopar Performance sells the weights needed to balance out the ring gear/converter so you can use the tranny that is in your car. Most likely a 318 will have a 904 behind it if it is a automatic, but I have seen some 727's behind 318 engines. The problem you will have is the 360's drivers side motor mount is different from the 273-318-340 engines. The 360's oil pan is also different than the 273-318-340 engine, but most likely it will be a center sump unless it came out of a truck or RV. This should be the only problems you run into from swapping a 318 to a 360.

#10 ·
I have little experience with mopar. But it sounds like If it were me I would build your 318 and spray it. Like you said its only a Sunday driver and no drag racing. God help you if you get caught street racing in East Tn. A girl just got killed by a street racer here. And there just salivating to catch anyone doing it. I know thats of topic a little, but why build a 450 hp car if your not gonna race it some :confused: .

#11 · (Edited)
67 Deuce 4 Me said:
I have little experience with mopar. But it sounds like If it were me I would build your 318 and spray it. Like you said its only a Sunday driver and no drag racing. God help you if you get caught street racing in East Tn. A girl just got killed by a street racer here. And there just salivating to catch anyone doing it. I know thats of topic a little, but why build a 450 hp car if your not gonna race it some :confused: .

Funny how time changes things.
When I was a teenager up north in early 60s, the local cops used to come and watch us street race. The state boys only complained about open headers.. they said we could be heard too far. We had a safe place to race, nobody did silly s11t, we never hotrodded or sped in town period, and when we hung out, the next morning the lots did not look like a garbage truck exploded. Not even one cigarette butt on the ground. We had 383 Mopars, 348/327 Impalas, 389 Catalinas,etc..... ah the good old days.... yes they were. If only...... sigh.... :cool:

Attachments

#12 ·
I'd serously consider a stock EFI 318 from a newer Dodge truck or Jeep Grand Cherokee. Good hp, good mileage, and you can pump it up a little. Would be a very nice, and slightly different, cruiser.

Yes, xentrik, I know what you mean! We had a couple places outside of town where a little racing was done. The cops broke it up on occasion though, just enough to keep people careful! No arrests, they'd just drive up and turn the lights on well before getting there, and let "whoop" or two out of the sirens as they got closer. You had to be an idiot and peel out to get stopped! If everyone shut the cars down and stayed put, or just quietly left (which the ones with the obvious fast cars did), you were fine. And the land owners didn't complain because we didn't leave a big mess for them to clean up later. The cops hardly ever came by before 11 pm in the summer, so someone must have complained on occasion about the noise. I think the general thought was as long as we were keeping it down on the edge of town in a relatively safe to play area, we weren't risking killing some innocent bystander in town.

#13 ·

sorta off topic....
i used to have a 3/4 ton dodge van love machine with a 318 2 barrel & it was a blast. As big as it was it could go pretty good & out on the freeway it just cruised & took hills without a problem. Man I miss that thing..I was sad when I sold it..just rememberin'. That 318 was a stud of a motor. 130,000 plus miles and I think I only replaced the water pump. I truely miss it.

#15 ·
farna said:
I'd serously consider a stock EFI 318 from a newer Dodge truck or Jeep Grand Cherokee. Good hp, good mileage, and you can pump it up a little. Would be a very nice, and slightly different, cruiser.

Yes, xentrik, I know what you mean! We had a couple places outside of town where a little racing was done. The cops broke it up on occasion though, just enough to keep people careful! No arrests, they'd just drive up and turn the lights on well before getting there, and let "whoop" or two out of the sirens as they got closer. You had to be an idiot and peel out to get stopped! If everyone shut the cars down and stayed put, or just quietly left (which the ones with the obvious fast cars did), you were fine. And the land owners didn't complain because we didn't leave a big mess for them to clean up later. The cops hardly ever came by before 11 pm in the summer, so someone must have complained on occasion about the noise. I think the general thought was as long as we were keeping it down on the edge of town in a relatively safe to play area, we weren't risking killing some innocent bystander in town.
Amen brother, I grew up in that same little town 50 miles out of Chicago... LOL (actually it was just the early 60s and young people had integrity and respect)

Anybody recognize that picture??.... that Giant has been there for 45 years.

#16 ·
Farna, we ought to start a thread about teenage life with hotrods back in the "good old days".

I'd love to hear other peoples recollections about how things were where they grew up. :thumbup:

Of course, I had a yellow Graffiti coupe 10 years before there actually was a Graffiti coupe.... so you know how old I am.....

It is too bad that youth is wasted on the young.

#17 · (Edited)
Dahio Drag Strip, outside Dayton Ohio, 1959. At 17, I was president of Viking Customs, a Dayton-based, NHRA charter sanctioned car club. All us area clubs used to show up at Dahio on Sundays to run the strip, a simple off-to-the-side runway at Dahio Airport. Our timing tower was a single construction scaffold with some 2 x 6 planks laid on top for the "race director" to announce from. We had an ancient set of clocks that worked sometimes and sometimes not. When they weren't working, we'd have a guy sit in the tiny little timing trailer at the big end and trip them with the tip of a pencil while eyeballing out the window of the trailer. Some of the racers used to get very excited about getting a better time at Dahio than at their home track hahahahaha.

I remember this fellow named Dick Vest who campaigned a SBC front-motor digger with a 2-spd box. He figured he could get a better time running direct, but didn't have enough horsepower to turn the hoops from the gitgo, so he had his crew bring oil-soaked rags out to the starting line and oil down the slicks so he could leave in top gear. Of course, this happened very quickly before any of us knew what they were doing and had to shut down for a while for cleanup (shovels, dirt and brooms). By the way, Dick didn't go any faster in direct than he did leaving in 2nd and shifting.

"Ohio George" Montgomery came out once or twice, but I've never seen him as mad as the last time he was out. Driving the baby blue '33 Willys, he hit the only pothole we had about mid-track and popped an axle. He managed to keep the Willys shiny-side up, but was furious and we never saw him again out there.

I was driving my '48 Ford Tudor with a '51 Merc flathead transplant, 4-bbl intake, WCFB Carter and twice-pipes. Normally I'd run F/Gas, but I remember one Sunday, we had two other very fast F/Gas cars show up from out of town. Subscribing to the (if you can't lick 'em, change cl*****) philosophy, I removed the back seat of the Ford and soloed for the trophy in C/Altered. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.