Best Body Panel Cutting Tool - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2004, 06:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I just tried cutting cab corners yesterday for the first time in my life. I started with an air powered Sears cut off tool. It went slow..ran out of air due to not enough storage and tool often slowed down. Interesting post above..I was wondering if a thinner wheel would cut better...because of less surface area..My wheels from sears look much thicker than 1/32. I'm assuming they're available for this tool in a thinner thickness?

I ended up using a sawzall! It cut a nice straight line...cutting the inner panel and outer at the same time..both were rotted. As long as you kept strong pressure holding the sawzall against the sheet metal...it didn't bounce around.

Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2004, 11:50 AM

Last journal entry: engine wiring
Last photo:

This might be off topic but What kind of price would you guys charge to replace both my rear quarters and the panel under the rear window on my 68 camaro? I am going to remove the glass and the trunklid and all the trim, the wheeltubs are going to be left out as well. I was quoted 1200 is this reasonable or high? this was from a bodyman who does sidework at his house
Old 08-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Kieth, the 1/32" disc really works well and eleminates a lot of the problems with the thicker ones. It cuts much faster and doesn't create as much heat as well I wouldn't think.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:18 AM

MartinSR thanks,

I found them on the web and ordered them. Sounds like an improvement. With a little luck I'll have em by the weekend..where I can start learn'n again.

Keith
Old 08-16-2004, 07:59 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by MARTINSR
but I bought mine from Sunchaser tools Click here for only $100.00, and it is the exact same brand.
martinsr,

I checked out sunchasertools but couldn't find the torch - only the kit for the "friction method". Am I missing something on their website or don't they offer this tool any more.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:30 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

I bought it at a swap meet, at their booth. They have a LOT of things that aren't on the web site, give them a call on the phone. They even have some used panel forming equipment sometimes.

Kieth, remember don't cut thru the metal and then just cut the line, you will burn up discs REAL fast. I think you also will create more heat.

I will run a line of masking tape along the line I want to cut. Get in the habit of having a "Sparpie" or a something to write with and put an arrow on the tape pointing to the side you plan on cutting. Ask me why I would tell you this

On cutting it, run the disc down your cut line a few times applying a little pressure (with the disc spinning of course ) to start the cut. It will thin the metal a little with each pass. Then after you have thinned the metal along the line a little you can let the disc "fall thru" the metal and you can run the cut. Your discs will last a lot longer this way. Plus, I have never checked heat but is sure seems like it would produce a lot less heat. Or at least the heat would disapate away as you thin the metal.

Last edited by MARTINSR; 08-16-2004 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:57 AM

Thanks Martin..

I'll try the "cutting a groove deeper n deeper method"..

You don't have to explain the sharpie thing...I do it all the time cutting lumber..

Keith

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.