Best brand of paint? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2005, 02:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Best brand of paint?

Okay, so I've searched and searched on this and I can't seem to find a conclusive answer.

To start off with I've got a 93 Thunderbird and a 69 Impala that I want to paint. I know a little bit about painting a car (just like painting a barn right? ). I've read a bunch around here and I've come to realize that I've got my work cut out for me.

At any rate, on to the question. Which brand of paint should I use. I was planning on going with HOK or PPG because there are a couple distributors around here. I know that prep is what gives you most of the quality. Still, I would like something that is fairly easy to spray, but I also want a top-notch job. I'm willing to put up with some hassle for a car that looks good. Two of my friends have volunteered their cars for me to practice on, and I was planning on just using the cheap stuff from NAPA (I can get a great discount through work). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jimmy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Rich Lackey

Last journal entry: Rich Lackey is back on Hotrodders!
Last photo:

I feel for ya! I'm going through the same thing only I don't have the friends cars to "practice" on, hope those relationships are strong ones!

I'm going for HOK just because I really want a nice Candy on my '54 Bel Air, and thiers is the best I've seen. PPG also rank up there though I think.

I don't have much advice to offer as I am in the same boat as you, but I'm learning more each and every time I come back to this forum.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Basically:
Cheap paint=cheap paint job
Good paint=good paint job.
You DEFINETLY get what you pay for.

Cheap paint is actually HARDER to paint with than the good stuff. If you do much painting you'll SEE this.

ANY of the name brands quality line of paint is great product.

HOK is basically the best,but be prepaired to pay for it.

I shoot Dupont Chromabase for the most part and you can read the Nasson post here for my view of it.

PPG is an excelent product as well.

NAPA stuff is OK IMO and I can get it cheaper than the Dupont.(my wife works at the Dist. center)
It usually comes down to what you can get locally or from a jobber who's not a complete *****.

I understand your delima with your first job and it will take AWHILE for you to do it as EVERYTHING is one big question that you have to answer.
Best Advice is.
Make friends with the jobber you buy from and LISTEN to his advice.
While your picking up supplies usually another painter will come in and pick his brain,most are quite helpfull and some will offer to help.

Lastly, Get HOK's book's at a jobber or book store or order it online as they are some of the best in "How To" literature avil. Mike.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

PPG's Global and Dupont's Chroma Premier rate at the top of my list, but there are many others out there.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

paint

I am finding that southernpolyurethanes.com has about the best deal for us hobby guys..those are epoxy paints and easy to use..

Just a note on paint: a lot of the automotive paint jobbers and distributors will not sell to the guy who is just painting one or two cars..The guys I use will..

OMT
Old 03-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Wookie

what is the best to learn with?
Old 03-02-2005, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

The best way to learn is to buy some economy products maybe PPG Omni or Dupont's Nason, valspar to name a few. Buy some basecoat and clear and follow the tech sheets. Or ask a bodyshop to donate some waste materials for you to practice with. Most shops will have some pints of paint that have gathered dust for years. Most paint suppliers will have some paint that was mixed wrong that can be available at a discount. There's no sense in putting out big dollars for premium materials if you're just going to burn it up learning IMO. Learn basecoat clear first then if you've mastered the clear application a singlestage solid color would be no problem.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:43 PM

Baddbob has a good idea. Try a local shop and see if they have some waste that you can use/buy.

House of Kolor is top of the line for custom work but all brand name manufactures have quality paints and "value" paints too. Your pick would be just as good as anybody else.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.