Best carburetor and distributor for full size street/strip truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 04:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Best carburetor and distributor for full size street/strip truck

I am in need of a new carburetor and I want some opinions on which one would best fit my needs. I have a 1983 swb 2wd Silverado. The engine is a 350 with a stock bottom end.

The heads are RHS Pro Action 180cc intake runners, 2.02/1.60 valves and 64cc combustion chambers (part number 12318-01).

The cam is a lunati Bracket Master II 230/230 292/292 480”. Comp cams 1.5 roller rocker arms.

The intake is an edelbrock air gap and currently an edelbrock 750 carb (part number 1407).

Transmission is a TCI Super Street Fighter TH-350 with a B&M Hole Shot 3000 converter.

The rear gears are 4.10

I have had trouble with the edelbrock carb since day one and I have decided to just give up on it. What carburetor would you think would best fit my combination? Brand, CFM, etc. I do drive this truck on the street in the country on the weekends, but I want to make the most power and torque as possible.
I also need a new distributor. Any suggestions on the best choice there would be great too. I am a junior in college and I am on a budget so I’m looking for something reasonably priced.

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 04:34 PM

What problems did you have with that carb? If you want easy street driving, that would be a good choice, but a Holley (or many other similar designs) will out perform it. But you need to be able to tune it correctly, or you will have the same or other problems as well.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydragster83 View Post
I am in need of a new carburetor and I want some opinions on which one would best fit my needs. I have a 1983 swb 2wd Silverado. The engine is a 350 with a stock bottom end.

The heads are RHS Pro Action 180cc intake runners, 2.02/1.60 valves and 64cc combustion chambers (part number 12318-01).

The cam is a lunati Bracket Master II 230/230 292/292 480”. Comp cams 1.5 roller rocker arms.

The intake is an edelbrock air gap and currently an edelbrock 750 carb (part number 1407).

Transmission is a TCI Super Street Fighter TH-350 with a B&M Hole Shot 3000 converter.

The rear gears are 4.10

I have had trouble with the edelbrock carb since day one and I have decided to just give up on it. What carburetor would you think would best fit my combination? Brand, CFM, etc. I do drive this truck on the street in the country on the weekends, but I want to make the most power and torque as possible.
I also need a new distributor. Any suggestions on the best choice there would be great too. I am a junior in college and I am on a budget so I’m looking for something reasonably priced.

Thanks.
Compressions real low for that cam selection, but what's done is done. What were the issues with the Carb? I'm asking cause you mentioned needing a dist as well. Alot of times ignition problems look like Carb issues.....I'm not an edelbrock fan by any stretch, but they are usually dead simple and reliable....
Old 03-07-2013, 06:08 PM

The truck has never ran right with this engine. It has always had flat spots when the throttle goes down. I'm by no means a good tuner, but I have had it to three different mechanics and the last one finally got it to run decent but, after tuning and testing for two days and the flat spots never went away he finally gave up and said it must be in the carburetor. He suggested I get a holly double pumper and upgrade the distributor while I am at it.

Everything on the motor is new and like I said three different mechanics have tried to get the cutting out issue resolved and failed.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydragster83 View Post
The truck has never ran right with this engine. It has always had flat spots when the throttle goes down. I'm by no means a good tuner, but I have had it to three different mechanics and the last one finally got it to run decent but, after tuning and testing for two days and the flat spots never went away he finally gave up and said it must be in the carburetor. He suggested I get a holly double pumper and upgrade the distributor while I am at it.

Everything on the motor is new and like I said three different mechanics have tried to get the cutting out issue resolved and failed.
What's the timing curve look like? Initial, total, and how fast is it all in? Vacuum advance? Ported or manifold.....
Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 PM

How quick is the truck in the 1/4 now? what is your MPH in the traps?
The 750 is the correct size for most mild engines.
I like holley double pumpers for racing. A new carb is
$600.ºº
Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 AM

Last photo:

Try this for a Carb: New Demon "Street Demon" 625cfm carb but before you lay down the $$$ for a new Carb make the distributor first priority,why you say? Well simply put you swapped heads and cam and carb but still having a stock distributor with a curve suitable for emissions is not going to fly with the new parts,this should do a good job and fit your budget:Summit Racing® Blueprinted HEI Distributors SUM-850001-1 - SummitRacing.com You may find your Edelbrock Carb will play nice after the switch hopefully you have utilized the tuning DVD that came with the 1407.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:08 PM

Inexpensive distributor but will still have to set up the right timing curve.Found this on the instructions .pdf file on Summits listing page....

"The distributor’s
mechanical advance is 6° @ 900 RPM, 8° to 10° @ 1200 RPM and reaches a
maximum of 10° to 11°@ 1500 RPM The vacuum advance provides 10° of advance."

Depending on your idle speed if its 750rpm or more, you may have already used half of your mechanical advance.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:24 AM

I'm always suspicious of a mechanic who can't tune an Edelbrock well enough to get rid of the flat spots. If he is reading and following the Edelbrock directions that is the easy part of tuning that carb. However, it is also the most visible problem if you can't fix it. In most cases it can be solved by swapping step-up springs and rods, which is one of the first changes recommended by Edelbrock.

I have moved away from the Edelbrock and am using an early 80's non-electric/electronic Quadrajet. After installing a complete rebuild kit and making a few adjustments, I like it much better than the Edelbrock. It just feels a lot stronger from idle up to about 4000 rpm, although I think I still need some work on the secondaries to get better upper end power. However, my truck is used primarily for hauling and street driving, so the low end driveability is more of a priority.

Bruce
Old 03-15-2013, 06:31 AM

Last photo:

Look at Cliffs Quadrajets... Cliffs High Performance Quadrajets :: Qjet Carburetor Rebuild Kits, Parts, Quadrajet Rebuilding, Quadrajet Parts, Bushing Kits, Carb Tuning
In 40+ years, I never had a carb or fuel injection run as well as my Cliffs Quadrajet..

I like the stock Delco single points distributor with stock Delco coil and a 1.5 resister on the run line...

I remove the adjuster spring and shim to 29-30 degrees dwell. It usually holds for 10,000 miles..
I use Echlin or Accel points. I just picked up 4 sets of NOS 1970s, Accel points with the 22 oz spring on e-Bay for change..
Smokey Yunick once said, "the stock Delco points system is one of the few things I can't make better"..
Old 03-15-2013, 07:52 AM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

Check out the Skip White HEI distributors ebay. About $40. Work great. Strong coil. Avoid the clear cap unit.

I've run one for 3 years now, no issues.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:49 AM

Don't give up on the Edelbrock

I had a 400 sbc with an air gap and a 800 Edelbrock. Solid roller cam (230 degree) in a light Jeep Commanche. It accelerated very hard but had poor street manors for such a mild cam. Never ran right from the git go. I didn't use the egr. The carb is calibrated for the vacuum leak. I decided to hung a egr valve on the carb. The idle was now adjustable without drilling a hole in the primary butterflys. The engine was easy to get the AF ratio right on for power and a little work to get a good lean cruise. Still a stumble on slowing turns and a rich transition from promary to secondary opening at full throttle. I found that gas was coming out the vents on brisk turns, brisk stops and hard acceleration. I made a tube to extend the vent openings just like the off road Holley carbs do. I put check valves in each side. Seemed like it was better to keep the fuel in the bowl and not up in a vent tube. It also let me raise the fuel level. The result was the rich transition was gone. In fact it went lean with no gas spilling into the motor. I richened up the secondary jetting. The car no longer had the stumble issue on turns, steep up hills or stops. The vent extensions were tough to make but worth the trouble. I could make you a set if you like?
The 800 avenger has a lot of improvements than Edelbrock wants to talk about. It's not just the adjustable air valve. In a test one of the mags did with a 550 hp motor, Holley and Edelbrock made about the same power.

Thanks, Woody
Old 03-22-2013, 04:46 PM

Thanks for all of the replies thus far.

I have decided to take the advice of upgrading the distributor first and see how it reacts to that.

Everyone says MSD is the only way to go, but for the price difference and limitations I have of fine tuning, it would be more wise to save my money and get a cheaper one such as the summit brand suggested above wouldn't it?

I guess what I'm asking is, this question has obviously been indirectly answered, I don't really need a $300 MSD for my set up do I?
Old 03-22-2013, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

I have almost the exact setup in a 77 C10 and procomp heads 195CC runners, 64cc chambers. I'm running a Edelbrock 1406 600CFM carb with good results. When i went to replace the old wore out dizzy i went with the Summit brand HIE. After researching and talking to summit several times i found out that Mallory actually makes them for summit. I stabbed mine in and haven't had a problem with it!

Now my Question for you. Have you run your truck in the 1/8 or 1/4?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Start by recurving the distributor 24deg at idle 34-36at max advance.

Which model carb? the 600 will need rejetting.

Do the distributor curve first. It is just a matter of tuning. The out of the box curve dos not work.
The out of the box 600 carb jetting won;t work either.
Not that hard to fix this.
edelbrock carb tuning...bible
Volvord 784VC Edelbrock Carburetor

with the carb model number I can suggest a baseline.

What distributor? GM HEI? MSD?

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 03-23-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.