Best Clears for adding pearl or candy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Hammer King

Last journal entry: paint job
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Best Clears for adding pearl or candy

A few questions
First:
I am looking for some general info. I know a lot of folks on this forum use the SPI products. That is why I gave them a try and I am very pleased with the results. This was a basic clear over base with the "mid solids" clear over PPG DBC base.
Now, I want to do some pearl in clear, and some kandy concentrates.
Best clear to use? Mid-solid, high solid, universal?

Question two:
Any one use the water based Createx airbrush paints? I have a lot of good results with these on non-automotive projects. They are easy to use (but take a long time to dry).
Can a regular Automotive clear go over these paints?

I am turning to the experts here. Thank you for your help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2005, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

question one: i prefer to mix pearls and sometimes candy into a clear basecoat (intercoat clear, hok sg100). i mix candys into this when doing graphics but on an overall i prefer to use the urethane hok line. i wouldn't mix concentrates into a regular clear for this because of the amount of coats needed. hok's uk line with the ku100 is very forgiving when it comes to runs and for some reason handles the 7 coats of candy + 2 coats of clear in one session without problems. spi stuff is great but not sure about safely spraying 9 coats in one session.

question2: i have used the createx stuff and yes you can clear over it but it really is crap. you just cant get the detail with it that you can with the automotive paints. the createx is acrylic base and clogs the crap out of the airbrush and is problematic. automotive is so much smoother and precise.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Using a pearl is fine in a clear as long as you have it right on the mix and only requires 2 coats to cover right and then the last coat being straight clear. Color sanding pearl which would be in the top layer can screw up the effect is why you shoot a straight clear last has been my experience.
KK Koncentrait HAS to be built up in layers to achieve the desired color,so an inter coat clear or a base paint "binder" is necessary as these are reduced like base paint and are thin,multiple layers compaired to a standard clear coat.

I have not used the water paint but know several who have and the opinion is mixed on how well they do. Using a hair dryer will speed up the dry time as these really need "heat setting" to adhere properly. Once properly dried,any clear coat can be applied over them as far as I know but I'd check with BarryK here on the SPI clear.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.