best combo for off idle torque?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2002, 05:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post best combo for off idle torque??

What would be the best combo for a 350 SBC motor, where I can get alot of off idle torque? Cam Grind? Intake? Heads?

Thanks!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2002, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

stock cam. 2bbl carb, small valve heads.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:24 PM

Last journal entry: Doors
Last photo:

I would use a stock 305 roller cam and put on 1.6 ratio rockers with an s.p.2.p intake and stock 267 heads with the 1.84 intake valves with that fat burn cumbustion chamber
Old 11-13-2002, 06:42 PM

Last photo:

What is an Edelbrock SP2P Intake and where can you get one? I'm not very familiar with these.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:57 PM

Leave the stock exhaust manifold on, too. Headers will take away low-end torque.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:35 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

I have a 350 w/ 1.84 valve 305 heads.A cam w/ 214/224 443/465lift and 112 spread.Edelbrock performer 600vac sec Holley and 1 5/8" headers.
Its torquey as a bastard.Pulls 2.1 60fts on 6"Pepboys specials.In it's prime it could break um lose froma 5mph roll w/ 4people in the car.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:31 PM

[quote]Originally posted by 78 monte:
<strong>I have a 350 w/ 1.84 valve 305 heads.A cam w/ 214/224 443/465lift and 112 spread.Edelbrock performer 600vac sec Holley and 1 5/8" headers.
Its torquey as a bastard.Pulls 2.1 60fts on 6"Pepboys specials.In it's prime it could break um lose froma 5mph roll w/ 4people in the car.</strong><hr></blockquote>

did you have any work done to the heads other than just a valve job? also did you assemble your short block with stock compression pistons? i am planning a very simmilar build for my work truck. i have some mid 80s 305 heads with the same size valves as you. what cam manufacturer did you use? thanks,

jason
Old 11-13-2002, 09:39 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

The heads had a 3 angle valve job and springs to match the cam.The shortblock was a Recon stock rebuild that I got for cheap.It had dished pistons.With 3.42s I ran 14.5 in the quarter but it was runnin doggy so I figure 14.3.The cam is a clevite # S2051.Great budget motor after 5years I'm finally replacing it.But it still runs decent so I'll put her on the stand for an extra.Also w/ stock head gaskets like .039 or so you'll have 9.5:1.I used to run premium in it so I could jack up the timing.

[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: 78 monte ]</p>
Old 11-14-2002, 06:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

First, properly size your carb. A 390 vac secondary 4bbl would be great, 600cfm 4bbl max. then get a small runner 180deg intake manifold, with the divider between the plenum just under the carburetor. Stock manifold would be great but Edelbrock Performer would be good second choice. Performer Plus has too large runner size. Get a mild advance cam with as little intake/exhaust overlap as possible and as much lift as possible. Finally, you want tri-Y headers with 32"-36" long primaries, and small pipe, no larger than 1 1/2", 3" collecters. Install a crossover tube between the exhaust pipes about 18" downstream of the collecters.

All of the above will give you the strongest bottom end possible but you won't be doing any drag racing!
Old 11-14-2002, 11:58 AM

Build it as a 383. You will have trouble keeping the front wheels on the ground.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:46 PM

Last journal entry: Doors
Last photo:

Is that really true, headers are not good for low end tourqe, I plan on using the header for a 69 camaro on my small block chevy with daul 2 1/2 pipe's with flow-master mufflers
Old 11-14-2002, 07:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

[quote]Originally posted by stereodud:
<strong>Is that really true, headers are not good for low end tourqe, I plan on using the header for a 69 camaro on my small block chevy with daul 2 1/2 pipe's with flow-master mufflers</strong><hr></blockquote>

I disagree with the statement. Just use some 1.5 inch if you are concerned about low end. The loss is minimal if it exists.

chris
Old 11-15-2002, 06:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Headerds are supposed to INCREASE torque over stock exhaust manifolds. The stocker cast iron manifolds are designed to have no effect on torque, good or bad at any speed. Thus a stock engine will have a flat, all-be-it lower, torque curve that is pleasnt for Ma and Pa. Headers take advantage of organ pipe theory and can be sized to significantly increase torque, however the increas only occurs at the designed RPM so the torque is 'peaky'. The longer the primary tube, the lower the RPM that peak torque occurs. Also, gas velocity has an effect on strenght of the torque increase so the lower the RPM, the smaller tube you need. Thus racing headers are short and big diameter. Street headers as requested by stifnney in his original question should be long and small diameter. Most headers you see advertised for street rods are desinged to be shiny and fit under the hood. The primary tubes are usually very different lengths so every cylinder will have a different tuned peak tourque and the tubes are too large so the torque increase is muted. Bad designs. Surprisingly, bends and turns, within reason have no detrimental effect on header performance so the basket of snakes type pipes can work well as long as they are sized properly. Also, there is a harmonic secondary boost at twice design speed so the 1800 rpm headers will see a torque peak at 3600 rpm also. They won't work well at high speed because of high fow pressure loss and being too long. EVERYTHING in engine design is COMPROMISE!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.