Best drill bits????? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Most of the life of a drill bit depends on feed pressure, speed, and lubricant. And a machine will drill way better than a hand drill. If you are expecting to drill a 3/8" hole thru a frame or something tougher or thicker with a hand drill then expect to having it take awhile. A small bit will drill faster than a large bit and a pilot hole for a large bit will drilll easier than no pilot hole. I'm a toolmaker and drill all types of steel on a daily basis. Most of the bits we use are cheap Westwards that we purchase from Grainger. Reason being that when someone gets a bit from the drawer they leave it lay and don't put it back. I have cheaper bits in my drill index that I have used for years. But you need to have a sharp bit to begin with. A dull bit will just get duller as the cutting edge is gone Some of the bits you get from HF and such have not been properly relieved so that is the reason they do not cut or appear dull. But a good investment would be a Drill Doctor if you use bits on a frequent basis.

Kevin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
Some of the bits you get from HF and such have not been properly relieved so that is the reason they do not cut or appear dull. Kevin

I had a set of those crappy HF TiN coated bits (I just had to try them at only $39.99 for the 115 piece set ) and sure enough just as you said they cut 100% better AFTER they were sharpened. Funny thing about them is they seemed to last quite well and stay sharp for a decent amount of time BUT some of the darn things were not even straight!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:34 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

My dad bought me a set of Norseman drill bits for Christmas a few years ago, this was one of the best presents I ever recieved. http://www.fairburyfastener.com/norseman.htm
Old 12-15-2007, 09:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
Most of the life of a drill bit depends on feed pressure, speed, and lubricant. And a machine will drill way better than a hand drill. If you are expecting to drill a 3/8" hole thru a frame or something tougher or thicker with a hand drill then expect to having it take awhile. A small bit will drill faster than a large bit and a pilot hole for a large bit will drilll easier than no pilot hole. I'm a toolmaker and drill all types of steel on a daily basis. Most of the bits we use are cheap Westwards that we purchase from Grainger. Reason being that when someone gets a bit from the drawer they leave it lay and don't put it back. I have cheaper bits in my drill index that I have used for years. But you need to have a sharp bit to begin with. A dull bit will just get duller as the cutting edge is gone Some of the bits you get from HF and such have not been properly relieved so that is the reason they do not cut or appear dull. But a good investment would be a Drill Doctor if you use bits on a frequent basis.

Kevin

I agree and to add to that even high quality bits can be destroyed by drilling one hole improperly, theres a dude at my work thats always in a rush and guarenteed he ruins a bit eveytime he drills because he pushes to hard and will woble the drill motor back and forth to try to drill the hole faster, it drives me crazy, he's an older guy I'm still young and when I critcize his drilling technique he gets mad like I don't know what I'm doing, the one thing I have to say about the pilot hole is that I do know it works better and it saves time but, I do believe that this is not always good because the bigger bit does not use the whole cutting edge and could result in dulling the edge sooner, but ussualy works ok, especially when drilling with a hand held drill when drilling is not precise. another note for thought to let everyone know so they don't make a mistake I did is if you use a mag drill press do not use it if the mag does not hold very well, and have someone help you ready to unplug it if it lets go, I was drilling 1 1/4" holes in a truck frame and the drill bit grabbed and kicked the machine off and I broke my finger in that case a few pilot holes might have been better instead of trying to drill the hole in one shot, plus I ruined a 85.00 bit
Old 12-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Add my vote to the cobalt bit endorsement.

Irwin make decent tools at a reasonable price.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

Mike, I can relate to that broken finger and every time I look at my right hand I can see the results of what happened to me when a mag drill did the same thing, broke two fingers and dang near cut another one off! Moral of this story- NEVER!!!! trust that mag base, those chain anchors are on there for a reason! Just another case of getting in to big of a hurry because it was just "one little job".
Old 12-16-2007, 05:59 PM

Last photo:

Doesn't have to be a large bit either, I spun a 70+ lb vise with a letter F bit. Didn't break the bit either but from then on whenever I drilled ANYTHING it was fastened down solid.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

A corded 3/8" Makita gear reduction drill, a 2" holesaw, and a piece of 1/2" plywood can be a painful combination, too ... especially on the 4th go-round!

I recall using a word that begins with "F" ... and it wasn't "Funny" or "Fudge".

It resulted in having a finger (the "ring" finger on my right hand) that I couldn't use AT ALL for weeks.

I almost went to my knees at about the 4-week period after receiving a firm ... well OK ... "bone-crusher" handshake.
I almost "drifted" the guy!

Dang finger still doesn't work just right ... SEVERAL months later.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

The Milwaukee Magnum 1/2" drill is real arm twister too! I learned a long time ago to put an extension in that side handle to get extra leverage to hold the darn thing, I guess that's why that handle is hollow but they won't tell you to do that.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:55 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I alway use to love running hammer drills drilling holes in concrete for anchor bolts. One time I hit a piece of rebar and almost had my arm twisted off and beaten with it. I also love those mag drills, use to use them all the time on the iron. I once seen a guy who didn't chain it down to a piece of iron, it broke free and fell 20' to the ground breaking up into many pieces. The bits alone to those mag drills run around $100. I though my Milwaukee 1/2 drill was expensive, I would hate to see what a mag drill costs.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:55 PM

Last journal entry: Head light photos
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I have to second the Drill Doctor advice. I had a box of a couple of hundred drill bits that were dull, broken or whatever plus a couple of indexes that had the useable ones - some of which could have been sharper. Now I have a box of a couple hundred sharp bits and a couple of indexes with sharp bits. I found with the Drill Doctor that you do have to "play" with their 'built-in' setting a bit to get the right angle - and it's a by feel adjustment. As a note, the 3/32 to 1/2 DD is identical to the 3/32 - 3/4 except it has a second collet for anything above a half inch - and it's cheaper by ~$39(oops $30 - new keyboard, first post with it)

As far as new drill bits, I try to buy the Hitachi or DeWalt titanium coated locally(Lowes) or the regulars from McMaster-Carr. You can buy 3-4 good, usually USA made, for the price of one junk Chinese made bit from Home Depot. If I needed them to really last for business, I'd spend the extra for the cobalt steel version though (also from McM-C)

Dave
I have had bad luck with Hitachi and DeWalt... matter of fact the very day I started this thread I had a DeWalt titanium bend before my eyes while I was drilling out a fender bolt. The Hitachi also didn't last. I was drilling out a bolt at the exhaust flange and Catalytic converter on a 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse and wiped out a 1/4 and 5/16 in a heart beat.

Maybe it's just me. I'm going to try the cobalt set at sears and also buy a drill doctor.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930u
I have had bad luck with Hitachi and DeWalt... matter of fact the very day I started this thread I had a DeWalt titanium bend before my eyes while I was drilling out a fender bolt. The Hitachi also didn't last. and .

If the Hitachi and DeWalt drill bit came from Lowes, there is a very good chance they have "Made in China" on the package. I have a few with my little quick change electric screwdriver. A reminder - Black & Decker owns DeWalt, their "premium" line

Hitachi is a very good Japanese company but also sub out a lot of their small stuff.

Then there was this Korean made tape measure we were using to put in a power plant IN Korea - five 1/4" increments to the inch.......
Old 12-19-2007, 07:25 AM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

I like BLU-MOL bits. They last for a long time and seem to be somewhere between cheap and 'spensive.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:31 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

The Hanson Company makes very good drill bits...they are a little higher priced than most but like anything else...you get what you pay for. Drill bits are not something to cheap out on.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
The Hanson Company makes very good drill bits....

That they do! VERY good bits!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.