Best drill bits????? - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 06:44 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I wasnt so lucky with mine it took several attempts ,I couldnt get the hang of it.I watched the dvd and read the dirctions many times but my brother in law came over and took right to it,so I had him sharpen my bits for the longest time, its easy now, but I sure had a hard time at first.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 08:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I wasnt so lucky with mine it took several attempts ,I couldnt get the hang of it.I watched the dvd and read the dirctions many times but my brother in law came over and took right to it,so I had him sharpen my bits for the longest time, its easy now, but I sure had a hard time at first.

The best place for that DVD (I got a VHS tape) is in the trash - where mine went - it's beyond confusing.

One thing they don't tell you is that on some drills you actually have to rotate them just a tad (clockwise as you look at the outside end in the holder) to get the correct point heel angle to cut properly. The twist on some drills is different and those 2 little jaws set the cutting edges just a weeeee bit off (I used to fight with the tool room at GE about crappy drill sharpening w-a-a-a-a-a-a-y back in the dark ages when I had a miscellaneous machining area as foreman)

Dave W
Old 12-28-2009, 07:09 AM

My Dad (RIP),worked at GE doing R&D way back when I was a kid.. I remember they had an Edison light bulb in the lobby that had been burning for years.One of his favorite stories was seeing a PHD Einstein type tring to drill a hole in a masonite box (the smoke got his attention) the drill bit was backwards.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:21 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

drilling larger holes

If you look at the end of a lage drill bit you will see a small line between the larger lines of the flute edge. That portion of the bit cannot cut but must push the metal out of the way. that's why drilling a smaller pilot hole makes the total job faster. also I sometimes use a center punch and keep punching the the hole as soon as chips quit coming out. to move the center metal out of the way
Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
My Dad (RIP),worked at GE doing R&D way back when I was a kid.. I remember they had an Edison light bulb in the lobby that had been burning for years.One of his favorite stories was seeing a PHD Einstein type tring to drill a hole in a masonite box (the smoke got his attention) the drill bit was backwards.

I haven't been in the R&D center for quite a few years , but my recollection is that they still have one of those bulbs burning as well as a collection of man made diamonds.

And the backwards turning drill bit - one of our high level managers at the Gas Turbine plant was installing a bulletin board in his office next to mine and was swearing at the "dull" drill bit in his cordless......and you know the rest of the story .

Dave W
Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:

Have used the Drill doctor for 3 years .......... GREAT tool, not sure what is so confusing about the tool . Real straight forward to use and set up..

AH yes you do need to pay attention as to how the tool holds the bit, and you actually need to look at the way the tool grips that drill bit .

Like this tool so much it lives next to the press. I have actually formed a new habit, dressing out the bit after use and store ... again great tool ..

There are two that have the biggest price tag I say at least get the 100$$ priced one you can dress bits up too 1/2 and at 140$$ you can do 3/4 darn nice tool ..
Old 12-28-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child

- one of our high level managers at the Gas Turbine plant was installing a bulletin board in his office next to mine and was swearing at the "dull" drill bit in his cordless......and you know the rest of the story .

Dave W
My good friends dad worked designing those blades "Gamble" was his last name.I hope it wasnt him, he sure was smart...Some day someone will invent a drill bit that'll cut in both directions (fool proof) it'll have to be double ended though,someone will put it in upside down
Old 12-28-2009, 10:24 AM
oldsmobile compatible

Last wiki edit: Selling your car Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
If you look at the end of a lage drill bit you will see a small line between the larger lines of the flute edge. That portion of the bit cannot cut but must push the metal out of the way. that's why drilling a smaller pilot hole makes the total job faster. also I sometimes use a center punch and keep punching the the hole as soon as chips quit coming out. to move the center metal out of the way
I knew drilling a pilot hole made the job easier but never thought about the reason why. Thanks for your post. Makes sense.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:19 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Maybe straying off the subject just a little bit (no pun intended) but these things are handy as a shirt pocket and this one from Harbor Freight works great, I have used mine for several years now.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=621

Sure you need to buy something like a Starrett if you are using it in a full time machine shop setting but these HF outfits work really good and hold up just fine, a real bargain at $4.99 but usually on sale almost free at $2.99. For three bucks you might think it to be a total piece of junk but this one (the brass one I have not tried the other one) seems to be just fine and does the same job as the much more expensive pro tool.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:56 PM

I'll second that Red... I use them HF center punches too.I just put a bit of a sharper point on them.It save a lot of time when you got few hundred spot welds to drill out of a 1/4 panel.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Drill Doctor has a feature to make a "split point", I think they call it. This is a separate grinding that cuts away that flat bridge (web) between the flutes. This makes starting a hole more precise, the drill does not wander, and drilling the hole is easier. If you have a Drill Doctor, use this feature and you will love it. However, I usually use a pilot hole too. Make the hole just a bit larger than the web of the drill you are going to use for the final size. You can buy split point drills, but why, when you can grind them yourself.

JME

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.