Best & Easiest Air Bags Susp For 66 Chev truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2005, 03:36 PM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last journal entry: Getting rid of the old and Adding the New
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Best & Easiest Air Bags Susp For 66 Chev truck

What is the best air bag suspension for a 66 chev 1/2 ton? Who has installed one and was there any problems installing it? I see Air Ride Technoligies has a kit for old Chev's. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I have never used air bag suspension......I never needed to be that low....some of my friends have had problems with a bag going bad and they were struck.......right where it went down and they could not even get it on a rollback.....

But I will put this back to the top ..for you....so possibly one of our members can answer this for you.
It was unanswered for over a day.....

DEUCE.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:06 PM

Last journal entry: finished

hey spud,
i have air ride suspension on my 64 fairlane, and i used the air ride technologies kit. All the stuff they sell is high quality, but you'll pay for it that's for sure. The only thing i have left in my system that i got from air ride tech is the bags and brackets and shocks, i replaced all the fittings, lines, valves and tanks since the kit i got was too slow for me (i got the system with 1/4 inch lines and manual valves). I'd say that if you want the car to lift with a decent speed, not the 25 or 30 seconds it took my car to lift with the air ride tech stuff, just buy the components individually from a place like suicidedoors.com. You'll save money and have a fast, but still high quality, air ride suspension. If you don't mind a slower lift and drop, the air ride tech stuff is top quality. If you do decide to get everything individually and you have any questions about what you'll need, let me know and i'll be glad to help. good luck, and be sure to post pics when you get it loowww

Frank

Old 10-30-2005, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

baggin

theres a tech article on a complete install of a 64GMC in classic trucks march 04 issue, classictrucksweb. com .its a real easy install. they used a kit from air lift ,, airliftcompany. com part #PN75709 all bolt up but id definately recommend buying you air supply else where if you want speed and theyre over priced, VIAIR makes the best air compressors, and parker or smc diaphragm valves have been around since the beginning of time. you could buy a TRUCKIN magazine and likely find brackets made by 10 different companies that are all pretty much the same. ive found AIM/CHASSISTECH makes nice brackets but their compressors and valves are not so great, just make sure nothing comes even close to touching you air bags. i had a bagged truck for about 2 years without any major problems, low quality valves had me cussing up a storm a few times and my compressor shorting out even when power was supplied by a 2GA wire really pissed me off . i broke down once because i burnt a hole in a hose after i upgraded larger hoses and fittings, i didnt tie the hose to the frame and it rested against an exhaust manifold. even if a hose seems to be out of the way put a wire tie around it (loose) to something your hoses may jerk around when you open you valves at 200 psi thats what happened to me, good luck and happy baggin
Old 10-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last photo:

Thanks Guys

Thanks for all the info and I'll see about getting that back issue of Classic Trucks. Since I have never done a task like this before and I'm relying on all the info I can grab, I really do appreciate this help. Was the directions in the kit good flamefordbronco? I can't see it being too difficult to do. I'm glad I asked.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:55 AM

Last photo:

old skool

http://classictrucks.com/tech/0403cl_oldsc/ this link should go straight to the article if not go to the web site and look under tech articles, go there any way and check out there truck from start to finish power brakes power steering overdrive theyve done it all, the truck is called "project old school"
and i have a comment on being stranded by one bag blowing,, if you have independent valves (control each corner individually instead of front and rear only) your vehicle will only hit ground if you remove your front sway bar, i found this out when i added a 10 switch box and independent valves. even on the rear especially with a rear control arm set up on an old truck EXAMPLE -- lift your truck and dump one corner, yes it will lean but it will not hit the ground, your rear especially. if your front or rear bags are connected on the same circuit then your blow out or leak will affect the whole axle but independent one side will support the other enough that the blown side will only sag a few inches. if you dump both bags on one side it will lean more but not hit the ground either, im sure the sway bar is lovin the stress but a sway bar and independant valves will protect you from getting stuck!! i know from experience... keep on BAGGIN N DRAGGIN
Old 11-01-2005, 08:17 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last photo:

Can't thank-you enough

I just checked out the web site and it's got all the info I need to attack this project myself. It's basically more than I was expecting and it helps greatly to know a great deal of this installation before you start. Thanks oklowride
Old 11-01-2005, 04:37 PM

the directions in the air ride tech kit were absolutely no help at all, but that article should pull you through it, it's an easy install. Also you might want to check out some 4 links if you have the cash and want a better rear setup.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:11 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last photo:

Fabricating my own 4-Link

Ya I was going to fabricate my own 4-link. I'm using 3/4" rod ends on 1" round stainless steel. I've already notched the frame and I'm boxing it as I go. I've been an Ironworker for over 26 years so fabricating this is something I'm really looking forward to. I looked at all the Project Old school articles and they were full of info that I needed and never knew. Most of it is stuff that I'm planning on doing. I have bought some of the issues but I didn't have the ones that I really needed. Thanks guys I do appreciate it!!!!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:42 PM
See project in Photo Album

Last photo:

I am currently restoring my 71 C-10 short fleet, and installing a kit from Air Ride Technologies or ART as you will see them referred to. The kits from ART are more expensive than just putting together your own system, but its difficult to know how to assemble all the parts without having seen a complete kit at some point, so if you don't have any vehicles in your area that you can really use for help, I would suggest buying a complete kit. ART has kits from slow like mentioned above to fast ones with the "BigRed" valves and 1/2" lines. ART now has electronic air management kits too, which is why I chose to buy from them. The kit directions are not great, so you have to figure out a few things on your own, but its not rocket science.

As far as bag failures go, the dependibility of your air system is only as good as the installation. Bottom line, don't let your bags touch anything and secure all your lines.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last photo:

Nice Work Bigsky

I was just looking at your pics and things seem to be going good eh? I'm going to post some pics with my profile soon, it's just taking the time and grabbing the wife to help me (LOL). Anyway I'll let you know that when it comes to suspension, brakes and trans/engine, there will be no penny pinching unless I'm looking for the best price on what going to buy. The main reason I'm doing a lot of my own fabrications is now I have the time and the equipment to do so. I hope you don't mind if I contact you once in a while to see how you are making out? It probably won't be till next year before I'll be able to purchase a kit. Thanks for the info and good luck with your truck!!!
Old 11-05-2005, 09:07 AM

bigsky,
are you using the big red valves from ART? i agree that it's hard to piece together a complete kit without seeing one and knowing what you're doing, but looking at the prices for that kit (1000 bucks just for 2 big red valves, 3/8 line, 5 gal tank and 1 compressor, yikes!) i'd rather do a bunch of research and piece together an entire fbss kit with bags and all for that price. I've been wondering what the quality was on the big red valves though, so let me know how they are if you're running them.
oh and budthespud, whatever you do when you buy your air ride stuff, do NOT get ANYTHING from chassistech.com, AIM, or any other names that that one company has, all their stuff is garbage and you'll end up replacing it anyway.

frank
Old 11-05-2005, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamedfordbronco
bigsky,
I've been wondering what the quality was on the big red valves though, so let me know how they are if you're running them.

frank
The big red valves are good quality, but you pay for them! Iv installed them on many customers car with no problems. The valves AIM sells are JUNK! Dont touch them, you will replace them with in a year forsure.
you can check out www.alteredaltitude.com Iv done many installs and used every product related to airride. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up!
Old 11-05-2005, 12:19 PM

simplicity,
nice site you have there, looks like you do some good work! I like the 64 caddy, and I've seen that 94 bodydropped ranger on layitlow too, looks good, is that yours? I think anything aim sells is junk, i'll never buy anything from them again, i got fittings from them and first they sent me the wrong size (3/8"), but then they sent me the right size and they're TERRIBLE, i had to replace every single one of them. if their fittings are that bad, i can't even imagine how bad their valves are.

frank
Old 11-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last photo:

I'm Glad I Asked

Well guys I have to tell you I'm glad I asked this question. Frank I was only going to buy Air Ride because all I've heard is good things with thier product line. As for the red valves, this is something I would never of known. I've learned that if you want good quality and are going to pay big money for it it pays to research it first. Thanks Simplicity!! Well guys I have to post a question on rebuilding a 700R4, Thanks again!!!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.