Best Engine? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 10:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

best engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingsastray
So I am SCREWED none of the junk yards on the island have any Mark 8. HUH!!!!!! What about 03-04 mustang mach 1 4.6 4v dohc block instead?
I have a 90 5.0 H. O. in my 33 fits great. the 302 is 27" in length before you put on a short water pump, the 350 chev is 26,5" with SWP. They are both 22" in width, and to repeat what Dave said, the disb. is in the front. And always a Ford in a Ford, Or if you can find a 32-34 Chev I would put a Ford in that too.

Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/cto/2321163031.html
Old 04-16-2011, 11:05 PM

Last photo:

Best engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1

Tech Could not have done it any easier for you, I would take Dave's and Tech's suggestion and run with it, guy leaving island might let it go cheap.

Bob
Old 04-16-2011, 11:23 PM

TEch thankx for the ad but wrong island
Old 04-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
You guys don't have boats over there?????
Old 04-16-2011, 11:31 PM

its not that simple. its almost easier to ship on from cali
Old 04-17-2011, 08:24 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

It is always smart to plan and think ahead when it comes to building a car (house, garage, fence etc), but right now, you probably should decide on what car you are going to build and get it and the running gear in your shop before deciding on the motor. Nothing like doing your own measuring and remeasuring of available space in an engine compartment whose dimensions change as steering sectors and radiators are installed . The radiator in old Fords tend to be in a near fixed position because of the fenders, hood and grill shell tie to it. To change this position puts you in a real fabricating challenge to lengthen the hood panels or increase the depth of the grill shell. Overall length of SBC vice SBF is just one measurement. Measure the valve cover stagger distance differences on the two motors because the pass side valve cover will encroach on the passenger side of the front seat as well as the distributor in the rear will do the same. Look at the exhaust manifold configurations of both motors to ensure you can economically get one that will work in your selected engine compartment/front suspension. Above all, go for an EFI setup. Reliability on a crowded engine compartment is your friend. A serpentine set up to drive the accessories is also a huge labor and knuckle saver on these old Fords. I would also go for as much aluminum in and on the motor as I could get. You don't need all that cast iron block, heads, intake etc weight on the front end.

Why don't you write down your plan of attack on your build and post it for a lot of experienced builders to offer some of their experienced advice. This could keep you from going down the wrong or longer path that could cost you lots of time and bucks. Even better, a good plan can keep you from getting discouraged because you can see the progress toward the final goal.

By the way, my experience with the 215 Rover motor is not good. The aluminum motor has sleeved cylinders and boring out is not an option because their engineers think the thinner walls will generate excess heat and cause premature failures (and I believe them). Rover does not make over sized pistons. One builder in Houston offers a slightly over sized ring set for a poor mans repair for those that want to get a little more life out of their worn out motor. To rebuild correctly, you basically have to buy new sleeves and find one of the few places in the US that will remove the old sleeves and install the new sleeves. Rover wants to sell you a new short block, which has a 40% excise tax on it.

Trees
Old 04-17-2011, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
So I am SCREWED none of the junk yards on the island have any Mark 8. HUH!!!!!! What about 03-04 mustang mach 1 4.6 4v dohc block instead?

hot dog now your talking!

turn the wick up another notch and get..................
the terminator

heavily sand bagged rating of 390hp 420tq is really easy to improve
Old 04-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Last photo:

best engine

Quote:
TEch thankx for the ad but wrong island
Did you check around to see how much they wanted to ship from another island. Don't they have car ferries over there. Just a thought.

Bob
Old 04-17-2011, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

enine choice

there sure is a lot of guys doing the gm ls series engine swaps these days. there have been lots of fords with chevy powerplants so i wouldn't worry about that aspect. the ls series are great engines and have lots of aftermarket support, they make great power and they aren't going away anytime soon. there are a few books out there as well that show you what engines are better and how to go about the process.
unless you are stuck on having a ford powerplant, at least check them out. see the website at ls1tech or just google it and you can see what prices etc are and what kind of power and support there is. I am going to go with a stock ls5.3 in my old truck, but it is a gmc so it kind of fits with the theme.
just a thought,
dsraven
Old 04-17-2011, 10:20 AM

Last photo:

best engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven
there sure is a lot of guys doing the gm ls series engine swaps these days. there have been lots of fords with chevy powerplants so i wouldn't worry about that aspect. the ls series are great engines and have lots of aftermarket support, they make great power and they aren't going away anytime soon. there are a few books out there as well that show you what engines are better and how to go about the process.
unless you are stuck on having a ford powerplant, at least check them out. see the website at ls1tech or just google it and you can see what prices etc are and what kind of power and support there is. I am going to go with a stock ls5.3 in my old truck, but it is a gmc so it kind of fits with the theme.
just a thought,
dsraven
Like you, he wants a ford in a ford. You want a GM in a GM.

Bob
Old 04-17-2011, 01:08 PM

Last photo:

fords for fords

ya, i figured, just saying,thereare sure a lot of guys doing the ls thing. a friend of mine has ran a turbo'ed ls in his mustang for a couple of years. now he is doing up a killer 700 hp version. he says it's staying on the cutting edge.whatever, you gotta do what you like.if you want to put in a ford engine, i would go with he 4.6 too, I mean as long as nobody seen me....ha ha.i have always been more of a chevy guy myself.
dsraven
Old 04-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
its not that simple. its almost easier to ship on from cali
IMHO ...
you need to go to the mainland ( California ) and go to a couple of the big events ( LA ROADSTERS ... comes to mind ) and look at which body style appeals to you the most, then ... figured out your drivetrain.

Trying to pick the driveline first is like putting the cart before the horse.

Like TREES said ... you need a plan.

Changing plans and parts during the build only adds frustration and expense to a already frustrating and expensive situation.

Most of the Ford guys want to to go with a Ford. Likewise the GM guys say that the Chevy is the better fit and choice. We are ALL BIASED ... one way or another.

IF you have no real hands on experience ... working on and fabricating parts ... you need to have a more simple project ... without all the high tech stuff. Most of the folks would have made comments here are long time hot rod folks ( LOOK at the ages of most of the posters ) ... and have done this stuff for 25/35/even 40 plus years.

I would even go as far as suggesting you BUY a vehicle ... close to what you think you want. It is always cheaper to buy than build. Quicker to ride also. Once you get a little experience ... and actual hands on knowledge ... you can then decide better what is right for you ... then build it.

DEUCE ... Moderator

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 04-17-2011, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven
ya, .i have always been more of a chevy guy myself.
dsraven

I feel sorry for you. Maybe someday you will kick the bad habit.

Bob
Old 04-17-2011, 07:15 PM

Well deuce that's is why I'm actually looking at getting a fiberglass body and a chassis already built. So all I need to do is the engine trans and the interior an send it some where for paint.

So I have a plan. I've really been leaning toward a 33 cabster. Cause i love roadster and coupes. Which in the choice of a cabster I get both.

That's why I've been really trying to look into a engine cause they can make the body fit into any engine I want.

So as of today I'm looking at building one with a brand new block. With 3 choices to choose from.
1. 302 bored to 347 from summit
2. 2012 Boss 302 big bore block from ford racing
3. LS1 block from chevy racing

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.