Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Best engine for a 93 caprice classic?
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlastorVice
would that be an easy install with stock pieces got a strict budget of 5k (thxs to the wife) so im tryin not to go to over the top but the specs on a 500ci did make my eyes widen a lil im assuming it should be easy since its chevy to chevy but you knever know
It's not Chevy to Chevy, the Cad 500 is a whole different critter. From a hardware standpoint it wouldn't be that hard for an "experienced" swapper but to be a bolt in you'd have to do a LOT of research as to what fit what years and models because that design Cad engine was never available in that chassis platform and there won't be any straight across swap info. You'd also have to dump most of your computer controls or find a way to adapt the Cad to EFI.

To me the LT-1 is a MUCH better swap in every respect. Do some searches for '94-'96 Impala SS info. Those cars were basically a dressed up 5.7 Caprice with performance oriented gearing and they are capable of excellent gas mileage and performance. I see claims of MPG's in the very high 20's and on the end of the scale they can turn 13's in street trim with some work. Another "pro" is that it would basically be a factory setup so no hassles with the smog police or getting parts. Get a '95 or '96 LT-1 if possible though, they have several improvements over the earlier ones. try to get the engine, trans, harness and ECM all together if possible. Low mile F-body LT's have been showing up around here as guys are swapping them out of their F-bodies for LS series engines.