Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best engine for a 93 caprice classic?

27K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  topmeat69 
#1 ·
I got a project I am going to start working on, I am new to a lot of this but I figure no time like the present. Basically I have a 93 caprice classic V8 5.0L and she needs some work want to swap out the current engine and boost my horse power. Is there a better engine I could be using than the stock one? I have about a 5k budget for now and was hoping to also do intake and exhaust work as well. Any advise, tips or sugestions are more than welcome.

#2 ·
Big heavy car so you'll need lots of torque, a 383 or a 406 sbc with a 700R4 trans. You can do a search on this forum for a bunch of engine builds reg these engine combo's. Just remember...this won't be a race car so don't go too radical, nice mild build will make it plenty streetable.

#3 ·
383 or 406 is definitely a good way to go(383 is probably easier, 400 blocks arent that easy to find), either will be bolt in motors(same motor mounts and accesories as your 305)
Just focus you build on torque, not horsepower. Your biggest issue is whether you will keep the EFI or not. You'd probably need a Bigblock throttle body, and a new prom for your computer if you stay with the efi. If you go carb, you'll need a non computer controlled distributor as well, you'll have to alter you fuel system to work with the carb, plus a way to control the lock-up feature of the torque converter in the trans., and possibly shift points in the trans if its an electric model(4L60E) If you go too big on the camshaft, you'll need a new torque converter all together. You should check the options sticker(inside of trunk, or glove box) to find out what gear ratio you have in your axle. Changing this to a low to mid 3 series gear will improve your acceleration.

#4 ·
thxs for the feedback

i did some research on the suggestions and the 383 sounds more up my ally this is my first undertaking of a build like this im shooting for a hotrod lowrider sort of deal and the ease of the 383 is more appealing and your right i am going for a more streetable ride than racing so i will shift my focus to the torque ill keep refering back for more tips and hopefully some pics as i progress with the build

#5 ·
Am I wrong or was this about the time they started putting the LT1 in these cars? Really don't remember the exact year, could be off a few years though. The police cars with the LT1's were pretty fast and fair gas mileage if you could keep your foot out of it. Seems like a good fit to me, but a stroker is nice too.

#6 ·
rwa1015 said:
Am I wrong or was this about the time they started putting the LT1 in these cars? Really don't remember the exact year, could be off a few years though. The police cars with the LT1's were pretty fast and fair gas mileage if you could keep your foot out of it. Seems like a good fit to me, but a stroker is nice too.
'94? Not just police cars got the LT-1, any Caprice or Buick Roadmaster with a 5.7 was an LT-1. The aluminum head Vette or F-Body LT-1 would be a good and easy bolt-in using factory parts. Lots of aftermarket goodies specific to those cars as well thanks to the Impala SS of the same vintage.

#8 ·
Hippie said:
'94? Not just police cars got the LT-1, any Caprice or Buick Roadmaster with a 5.7 was an LT-1. The aluminum head Vette or F-Body LT-1 would be a good and easy bolt-in using factory parts. Lots of aftermarket goodies specific to those cars as well thanks to the Impala SS of the same vintage.
You're right just thought about a friend who has a mid 90's caprice wagon that gets unreal mileage for a tank (he claims around 25mpg trip) and good power too. Would be a real screamer in something lighter!

#12 ·
AlastorVice said:
would that be an easy install with stock pieces got a strict budget of 5k (thxs to the wife) so im tryin not to go to over the top but the specs on a 500ci did make my eyes widen a lil im assuming it should be easy since its chevy to chevy but you knever know
It's not Chevy to Chevy, the Cad 500 is a whole different critter. From a hardware standpoint it wouldn't be that hard for an "experienced" swapper but to be a bolt in you'd have to do a LOT of research as to what fit what years and models because that design Cad engine was never available in that chassis platform and there won't be any straight across swap info. You'd also have to dump most of your computer controls or find a way to adapt the Cad to EFI.

To me the LT-1 is a MUCH better swap in every respect. Do some searches for '94-'96 Impala SS info. Those cars were basically a dressed up 5.7 Caprice with performance oriented gearing and they are capable of excellent gas mileage and performance. I see claims of MPG's in the very high 20's and on the end of the scale they can turn 13's in street trim with some work. Another "pro" is that it would basically be a factory setup so no hassles with the smog police or getting parts. Get a '95 or '96 LT-1 if possible though, they have several improvements over the earlier ones. try to get the engine, trans, harness and ECM all together if possible. Low mile F-body LT's have been showing up around here as guys are swapping them out of their F-bodies for LS series engines.

#13 ·
LT1's were available in the B Bodies (Caprice, Impala, Roadmaster, Cadillac Fleetwood, Olds Custom Cruiser) from 1994 to 1996. Some cars got the 5.7 LT1, while the rest received the smaller 4.3 L99 "baby" LT1, both with iron heads.

What you have is the L03 305 V8, which uses throttle-body injection, while an LT1 is fuel injected (MPFI). An LT1 swap can be done but, from what I have read on the Impala SS forum, it is cheaper to just buy an LT1-powered Caprice.

You do have an interesting project on your hands and I am wondering if the other members could give some input on the tuning of TBI systems.

#20 ·
caprice engine swat

Ive owned 5 caprices, 4 with 305 one with the LT1 350. The LT1 started in 94 in caprice ,roadmaster and fleetwood, the item is REVERSE FLOW COOLING read about it, it allows higher compression with regular gas,its not a common feature,started with corvette.the LT pulls hard to 6000 rpm,the salvage yard have them cheap. be safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.