best engine to put in a s 10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2003, 04:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

best engine to put in a s 10

i was wondering about setting up a sreet legal s 10 that would be super fast if anyon has any tip on throwing the best motor in one please?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2003, 05:08 PM
Last photo:

A 502 crate engine would do the trick. A buddy of mine just completed an LS1 swap that is super nice and looks like it came with the S10 Blazer.

Vince
Old 07-18-2003, 08:19 PM
v8s10.org

Last photo:

I big block is really too and heavy for a S10 (unless its got alot of aluminum parts on it) and I worry enough about getting my smallblock trucks inspected so I can't imagine the look on the inspectors face when he raises the hood and see a big block.
If i had the money to build any engine i want I'd build a 377 or some other big bore short stroke engine.
A torque engine like a 383 isn't really what a S10 needs because they're so light.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:08 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

some kind of ford block.......

a warm to hot 350 would really make it scoot......

Last edited by crazy larry; 07-19-2003 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:49 AM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

327,350,383, any would be fine, just stay away from the 305's
Old 07-19-2003, 12:59 PM

I'm planning a build-up on a iron block 383 over the winter. I"m going to get it bored .030 over and with everything planned, it should do about 500 hp or real close to it. I want it to be streetable and it will have an overdrive tranny in it. I just got to figure out a rear end and some traction issues but that should do the trick.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:12 PM

I had an S-10 with a small block in it... not fun. Very tight fit and always ran warm.. I was running an aluminum radiator, manual fan with shrowd and 2 10" electric fans on it.. still ran warm.. I woulndt even plan on doing a big block unless your really want some headaches.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:55 PM

Last photo:

Badlilstang, You did all that and still had heating problems???

My 88' S-10 runs a $95 copper core Auto Zone radiator with a single 10" electric puller fan. No belt driven or shroud at all. I drive the truck on a daily basis. 100 miles a day to and from work. The weekend before last, I made 16 back to back passes on a 98* day and it didn't go over 210*.....Dan
Old 07-19-2003, 11:46 PM

to me 210 is already warm... mine ran around 210-220.... I had ac on it of course. Motor ran totally different when around 160 degrees compared to 210.. I just dont like my motors to get over 200 degrees. I was 10.5:1 compression and i had iron heads wich didnt help.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:37 PM
v8s10.org

Last photo:

The truck in my Avatar was driven daily and had a Stock 305 out of a '94 Caprice police car (with stock alum q-jet intake modified to fit the centerbolt heads) and it never ran warm on the hottest days with a mid 70s camaro radiator ,engine driven fan and no fan shroud.
The S10 that i'm working on now is a 9.5:1 383 and i'm going to try using a stock 4.3 radiator and a mechanical fan. It will also be a daily driver so I hope that it cools well enough.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:06 PM

I was running 11:1 pop up pistons with open chamber iron heads.. the high compression will make it run warmer compared to a lower compression motor. Plus I live in Texas and it gets hot as hell here.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:27 PM
www.s10v8.com

I have a '82 GMC S15 with a 350 mildly hopped up and do not have any overheating problems.I am running a corvette c4 radiator moved to the forward position.I put this truck together just for a play toy and my temps stay between 160 - 195, but i do not have a/c which i know makes a difference.I do run a large clutch fan that came from the siverado 4x4 that i used as a donor.Its fun, its too fast and has no traction.But i did build it to be a toy.The engine is a .040 over 350, with 60cc heads and a lumpy cam.Its the easiest v8 swap that i have ever done.The only problems that i had was a cracked bracket for the power steering pump that thru the belt on the interstate.I can easily punch it at 40 mph and leave double black marks.I am looking into buying a s&w rear half to install to cure some of my traction problems.The BBC is very doable, the biggest problems that i have seen is exhaust and steering shaft and traction.We have a couple of guys over at s10v8.com who have done the swap, with pictures of the steering shaft mod and exhaust manifolds ( the ones to look for).It is cool to look under the hood and see all of that metal!With the 350 in there, its not that tight at all to me.Granted, the only power acessories i have is power steering.It takes me much longer to change the plugs or oil on my vette than it does on the small pick up.I like it alot!I am trying to find me an extended cab to throw a bbc in.If you happen to build a bbc s10, you need to look into getting a ford 9 inch rear, I believe the stock 7.5 will blow on ya...Have fun......Jay

some of my swap pics
Old 07-20-2003, 10:49 PM
When all else fails burn it

Last journal entry: more hiding stuff
Last photo:

put a ford small block in it and then it would be worth something

just kidding hahaha
Old 07-21-2003, 04:17 AM

Last photo:

383 with a good set of heads
Old 08-23-2003, 12:43 PM
The_Hit_Man

Last photo:

some one that i work with told me if your going to drop a engine in a S-10 drop a 350 in it. 1st thing i would do is write out what componets you want to put on the engine 1st. im putting all edlebrock parts on mine. 2nd find what trannys you want to use. 3rd work out your cooling problems. some time you will have to get a better grille to let more air in. the less the engine has to work the cooler it will be. 4th work out your gear ratio that you want to use. remember what you want to do with the s-10. is it daily driver or week end play. if its daily driver then go with gear that will get you up to speed quick but wont bust your gas milage to hell and back. lastly. make sure you can afford it and plan your budget right to do it.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.