Hot Rod Forum banner

Best first-timer car

901 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  kenseth17 
#1 ·
hey guys i can get my first car in a year, month and a couple of days. What should i be looking at any ideas on a good v8, rwd car that there is a garuntee there will still be more of to get. I also plan on attending a techncal school so my senior year project in auto body would be my own car so after saying that what would be a good idea? :welcome:

#3 ·
Personally, I'd look around on the internet picture sites until you find something that sparks an interest. Get something that you like, it doesn't have to be what everyone else is into.

If it's going to be a daily driver, I'd try to get something that's not real old to take advantage of the gas mileage and reliability. There's a ton of cars out there that fit your description, here's a few that come to mind right off hand.

80's g-body (Monte Carlo, Regal, Cutlass, etc). If you can get a Monte SS, Hurst Olds, or GN/turbo Regal they'll have the best equipment to start with. They're pretty inexpensive and parts are plentiful. The stock motors aren't known as being the most powerful though. Most aren't stock though, so there's a lot to choose from. Also, insurance companies classify them as a 2 door sedan (even the SS) so insurance will be pretty cheap. I bought an 86 Monte SS all stock a while back and I couldn't be happier with it. It's a nice solid car and seats 5 pretty comfortably.

The 90's Caprice/Roadmaster are pretty nice, plus some came with the lt1. A decent example can be found pretty cheap. Since they're the same platform as the impala SS, they have a lot of potential and look pretty good lowered with a nice wheel/tire package.

I think the early 90's Thunderbirds could be had with a v8. I don't have a lot of experience with them but they seem pretty nice. I took a ride in a supercoupe (supercharged v6) and was pretty impressed.

Of course, you could go with the camaro/mustang thing, they're really not that expensive. I think insurance may be a little higher though.

Mercury Cougar, I think these came with a v8 and rwd a while back

Lincoln LSC, they're really neat cars, not what you'd think of as a lincoln (especially the older ones)

Anyhow, at least you're got your priorities straight with the v8 rwd thing! Good luck with whatever you decide on!

#4 ·
Well being your first car, you probably want something with a bit of power but you won't be spending a lot on gas and be somewhat easy to fix and reliable. I know a v8 would be nice, but there are some v6 engines that are good and are pretty reasonable on gas. The 3.8L isn't a bad engine. I have a front wheel drive 3.8 and gm really improved that engine over earlier years. Mine was nothing but reliable and had almost as much power as many small block v8's. I assume a rwd 3.8 would be good also. Insurance should be a little less with a 6 also.Another example is my ford truck has a 302 v8, but the six was also availabel in them has only one horsepower less in stock form, probably better torque, and gets better gas milage. Sort of wish I would have got one with the 6 instead. But get what you want and sparks your interest. Its your car. The search for a car to buy is fun at that age, at least it was when I was looking for my first car. But you have the urge to buy the first one you look at. Look at several, and with the internet now adays, may want to check what reviews others give the car, how reliable, and common things to watch for when you have some narrowed down. Something that breaks down a lot isn't much fun. My truck gave me lots of problems since the day I bought it, and now has been sitting for quite awhile until I gets nice and I have time to mess around with it.

#5 ·
To be honest I think a 4.3 S-10 would be a great first vehicle. There's plenty of them around and with decent gears out back they'll hold their own with most V-8's and still get good mileage. The 4.3 responds well to basic mods and has a good reputation for reliability. If you really want a car consider a 4.3 powered Monte Carlo, same thing there they need decent gears out back but when geared properly they will run pretty good and either one will take a V-8 later on. JMO though.

#6 ·
v8 rwd...more stuff available
answer is>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fox body Mustang :thumbup:

common as dirt, everybody and their dawg has aftermarket stuff for 'em.
Downside, a LOT of these cars have been, shall we say, abused in their lifetime, not to mention, the insurance for any RWD platform for a young driver is not going to be cheap.
Late 80's tbirds arent bad. nice cars,but a tad heavy.
for a ringer...how about a fairmont / zephyr. late 70's early 80's vehicle, rare in factory v8 form (and a 255 won't scatter **** with a shovel)
These are fox body platforms. dropping in a 5.0 is easy.....all of the mustang stuff is basically a bolt in. 5.0, & aod in a four door squaremont = :thumbup:

#7 ·
I agreewith fitzwell, but would also add squarebody falcons. cheap to find, you can do anything to them, loads of body styles (truck, 2 door, 4door, wagon, sedan delivery, convertible etc..) 64 and up have the 289 v8 option, but you can put a 5.0 or a 351 in them, also falcon parts are widely available and most of the stuff is interchangeable with mustang, so converting to disc, and power steering etc is very easy...

#12 ·
eastcoast
depends on whos doing the work, what you got, what your getting. with 64+ square body falcons I think the 302 (5.0) drops right in. you may need to change some stuff if you go with the 351 like control arms and steering but not to sure on the specifics, I have never done it...try the falconregistry.com forum they should be able to give you specifics. the thing is falcons (especially the sprint) were made to go fast! they are light and small and with a 351 or even a souped up 302 they are killers!! you can do the swap on the round body versions but you you need to get a 63 as they were set up for v8 anything earlier than 63 and your into a whole lot of work...(my ranchero is a 62 I dont have any plans for a v8, but I may get a 63 wagon at some point so I cant put a 351 in it)

FastChevy
Okay that makes sense...I didnt know they put turbos on those voyages what a sleeper that makes!

#13 ·
I like the G-body for complete ease of everything. Fisrt, they already have disc brakes, they are new enough that parts are available in junkyards and you can still get a lot of parts from the dealer if you have a parts guy that is willing to work with you. If you want A/C, it all there, just make it work. They can be made into a good G-machine with little work. The aftermarket is starting to really support the G-body platform with everything you could need.

The engine swap question. It took me 4 days (did it in school, but had the whole day in auto/autobody/welding so I could get to it all day). The hardest part was the motor mounts. Took me 3 hours for both. I had some oil control problems so I dragged it home for the weekend and pulled the drivers head off and went after that stupid plug in the back (won't do that twice). I had some electrical problems (burned wires on my header) and then on the maiden voyage a rocker arm fell off. Scared me senseless.

Basically I spent a week, but chasing wires is a bit more than just swapping an engine.

#14 ·
Ok, my first vehicle did not run , saved on gas, my second vehicle, a '51 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe 4dr did not run when I got it but, I got it running within the first week I had it, it is a not so safe car ( no seatbelts or anything ) but it is a slow car, about 60 MPH is all she's got, this is mostly because of the 4.11's in the rear, and the original powerglide trans and 235 I6, this will retain the stock drivetrain, but have a 1950's custom look to it, it will be my hotrod/ custom, my '67 Falcon is a fairly quick car, even for a 200I6, it will roll smoke from the rear's, and all it has is a 2.83 rear end. it probably has a top speed of probably 95 or 100 MPH, so it's still moderatly slow compared to others, it has a 200I6 and a C4 auto.

#15 ·
I don't know if your into small cars, but some other vehicles that can still be found cheap are the chevy monza's- pontiac sundbirds, and the ford maverick-mercury comet. Both were available with v8's from the factory or could be converted to one somewhat easily if you can get the factory parts you need. I don't know the specifics of how much would need to be changed if you bought one with a 6 and went to an 8, but there are forums for just about every make and model of car if you do a search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.