Hot Rod Forum banner

which is the best FORD engine???

5K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  blown69stang 
#1 ·
i am trying to get a pre 70's ranchero
for a project.
i want alot of power for pure street racing and the occasional strip performer. im lookin for about 400+ HP. this will only be a weekend racer with a 4 on the floor baby!!

i was thinking about a 302 but that would be kinda small compared to what the chevy boys are running(although the stangs seem to do pretty well with a 302), so i was thinking about a 351C.

should i try cramming a BB in this thing?

if i get one with the little 6cyl, how easy will it be to swap in the v8?

does anybody have any clue to what a pre 70's ranchero weights?

THANKS everyone

#27 ·
The first thing to do is to find the weight of the vehicle...I have a 1973 Cougar approx 4000lbs I run a built up 351C close to 400hp, a 302 would be a dog. They run real good 2800lbs and under, I also have a 1968 cougar with 302 which works nicely, but I am in process of swapping out the 302 with the 351C...You cannot go wrong with a 351C, they could be built up strong for under $3,000.00...this is only my opinion, but I have owned 2 1973 cougars, 1968 cougar. Good Luck!

#28 ·
im think the 302 is the best for engine out there i got one that has no oil pressure at all cuz the bearings are sooo worn out it its got a blown head gasket leaks oil (this all happened beofre i bought it an old lady liked to run it out of oil with a n oil leak and not tell anyone , i found this out after i bought it thank u very much :mad: but anyways) it still roasts a lot out there and i put soem serious tear on it i drive thru fields with this thing donuts constantly brake stands everywhere, goin 45 mph slammin it in reverse and flooring it and doin posi strips backwards ive doen it all to break this engine and i wont give whatssoever ive been driving it nonstop for the past year as well as all the fun and crap i do to it :D cant beat it

#29 ·
Small blocks are great if you have the $ to make them go. Best bet is the 351W. If $ is a factor try the 390 FE, lots in junk yards and cheap. A little heavy but have great low end and can make good HP with lots of torque. Both of the motors will bolt in with only a change in the factory motor mounts.

#31 ·
I've worked on several pre70's Rancheros and the engine size, BIGblock versus smallblock, also depends on which style Ranchero you're thinking of, because if you get a Falcon based one you would be restricted to smallblocks if you don't want to do major extensive shocktower changes, if its even possible. So stroking out the 351W to 400+ ci would be yuor only way to get large cubes into the small Ranchero. Otherwise get the larger Fairlane based or Torino based Ranchero, these have a little more room.If you decide on a 351W, go for a 1969 4bbl model, they r tougher and the heads r different, I had one up to 135 mph in a cougar when I was 18, but don't do that on the street like I did, it scared sum respect into me when I almost crashed with unprepared traffic.
Be Ccareful!

#32 ·
Man I am telling you right now, go with the 351W. I just built one with forged bottom end, Canfield heads, Crane cam, Victor Jr. intake, and Holley Carb. The beast had over 460 hp before the 200hp of "Bottle" got strapped onto it. Needless to say it had enough power to rip my tranny up pretty good. With mostly stock parts (invest in a good bottom end though), you should have an easily streetable 351W with close to 375hp and be able to drive on pump gas every day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.