Best gear ratio when installing 700r4 transmission - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2002, 07:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Best gear ratio when installing 700r4 transmission

What is the best rear gear ratio when installing a 700r4 transmission in a '36 Chevy Street Rod for best gas mileage and overall performance?

[ August 04, 2002: Message edited by: agordon ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2002, 08:17 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Ok, I'm not a chevy guy but I'm assuming the 700R4 is an overdrive trans. With overdrive I would go around 3.50 for a good performer that will still handle your highways well (gas mileage). The higher you go (3.73) the more she'll launch but you'll start to sacrifice fuel economy on highways. What type of driving you'll be doing is really the most important thing to consider!! I'm running 3.70's in my stang with a C4 trans (no OD), great for cruising around town but horrible on the interstates. But most of my driving is strickly local cruising so I set her up for that.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:25 AM

Hi! I would start by weighting the car. Then check out some of the late models that have your engine trans combo in them to sell how they do. Find out what gear ratio is in the one that feels good to you. Check out crane's gear ratio chart to help get a feel for what will work. Remember to keep the cruise down around 1500 of less in OD to get better mileage. Hope this is of value to you

[ August 04, 2002: Message edited by: Partsman ]</p>
Old 08-04-2002, 10:10 AM

This is my opinion, and, as with certain parts of the anatomy, everyone has their own. Given a rear tire diameter of about 30" give or take and inch, the 3:42 ratio GM rear will work outstanding with the 700R4. It will give you the best of both worlds, off the low end pretty good, and not be too high rpm in the cruising range. This can all be altered drastically by tire size, which will change final drive ratio, which is directly related to cruising rpm. Get the picture? Just keep in mind the "other" variables that come into play when selecting the final gear ratio and with an OD tranny. PACO
Old 08-04-2002, 10:14 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Good point paco, I was just thinking stock rims and tires. How easy we sometimes overlook these details.
Old 08-04-2002, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

Bowtie overdrives has a calculator in their useful tool area you can use to figure rpms etc. <a href="http://www.700r4.com" target="_blank">www.700r4.com</a> I believe. I have 3.70's with a 26" diameter tire, this puts me at 2500 rpms at 70mph. The bottom end is still fun to romp around with.

[ August 04, 2002: Message edited by: 53vicky ]</p>
Old 02-18-2003, 08:05 AM

I would put 3.42 radio with 700r4. MY dad had a 37 chevy coupe with 300horse power 327. And it would get of the line ok and got about 18 miles to the gallon.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.