Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - best gun for a beginner
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2003, 10:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don't agree that it is a misconception that HVLP uses less air. It does use less air pressure. That is the concept of HVLP. It will atomize the mixture using less pressure, thereby causing less contamination to the air. You can put 100 # of pressure at the inlet if you want to ( makes no sense),but HVLP guns have an adjusting valve feature for pressure at the tip. Every HVLP gun I have used requires 10-15 # of pressure at the outlet tip. If your gun couldn't push the clear coat, boosting the tip pressure a bit might help, but I wonder about your mix ratio. Try adding more reducer and thinning the clear. It will flow much better. I love my HVLP for clear coating and it is a cheapie gun. The side benefit of using the HVLP, especially for clear coat is that it creates much less overspray and waste and since we all know that most clear coat contains cyanide as part of ther chemical mix, the less in the air, the better. Cyanide is the stuff used to "gas" capital punishment criminals. Quite toxic.