best gun for a beginner - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

best gun for a beginner

Wondering if anyone has specific recommendations for a gun to learn painting with...and possibly which system of paint I should look at using.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2003, 05:34 AM
Last photo:

A gun of reasonable quality that will not set you back several hundred dollars is availiable at Harbor Freight for $49. It is a HVLP gun. Any of the top line paints such as PPG, or DUPont are good to gain experience with. Both have several compounds like single and two stage.

Vince
Old 09-15-2003, 07:05 AM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

Agree w/above- Harbor Freight or local jobbers sometimes have a line called 'Speedaire" that is cheap yet good for around $65. I use Napa Martin Senior paint basecoat/clearcoat- easy for beginners and great for those who paint a lot also. (just hope you get a good salesguy!) Practice on small stuff first. Conventional guns take a lot less air, thus less cfm for the compressor, but HVLP will use a lot less paint and (I feel) take a little more to get used to. IMHO
Old 09-15-2003, 07:39 AM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:

A few months back I bought a 77 Chevy Cheyenne Pickup for the motor (454). Currently it's in primer. I figured I could play around on it. See how it goes...so when I'm ready to do the 57 I'll have some experience painting.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:23 PM

Harber Freight sells a suction and gravity gun that is HVLP
which one is the best.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:47 PM
Psychotic

Last photo:

For some handy hints on spraypainting:

http://www.diy-compressors.com/spray...tm#preparation

http://www.magnetmart.com.au/images/...pray_paint.pdf
Old 09-17-2003, 12:25 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

I would recomend a suction type gun to start out with. The reason being you can mix materials in the cup. With a gravity gun the cup is up on top and needs to be poured back into a mix cup to add to it since theres that 1/2 once that's trapped in the bottom where a stir stick can't reach

Last edited by milo; 09-17-2003 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:56 AM
Last photo:

I would agree with milo, a conventional gun to start. While the HVLP guns are gaining in popularity, they take a little getting used to.

Vince
Old 09-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

Like Mustangs and other things, everyone has an opinion. I think if you have never painted, get a top loader instead of an old suction type. Mix the paint in a cup and pour it in. I started with a suction and now I love my top loader. The only suction gun I have is only used for DP 90. If yuou get the feel for the top loader, you'll love it.

Once again, my arsho...opinion.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:10 PM
56 Pontiacs Rule!!!

I have & use a Binks #7, I use it for primmer ,everything as long as you clean it well it last forever. No bans yet as to the use of conventional sprays guns here.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

gun choice

If I could only have 2 guns, with a limited budget, I would choose a gravity feed HVLP full size and a gravity feed jamb gun for small areas. First of all HVLP requires less air volume at the inlet and gravity guns leave little waste. Both of these are major considerations for the small hobby shop. They would also be much friendlier to the environment and the HVLP system requires 30 - 50 % less paint. Personally , I would never mix paint directly in the container/jar. All paint products have major contamination. Thus your paint should be strained through filter papers into the jar. Mixing directly in the siphon style container eliminates this precaution. When you buy your paint, talk the counter man into supplying you with "FREE" mixing cups, sticks and paper strainers. Many of them will. I have yet to use the Harbor Freight guns, but just might get one of their gravity feed HVLP jamb guns.

P.S. You don't want to shoot build primer with an HVLP unless maybe you get a fat tip. Actually you probably don't want to shoot primer and finish paint with the same gun.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:00 AM
Last photo:

It is a common misconception that HVLP guns use less air than a conventional gun, it ain't necessarily so. The articles I have read on HVLP guns actually say they can use more air. HVLP means high volume low pressure. The low pressure refers to the pressure at the cap, not the inlet pressure of the gun, which can be as high as 50psi.

I just completed spraying the hood of my truck with my Harbor Freight HVLP gum. The gun did fine with the base coat, but absolutely refuse to move the clear with any kind of acceptable results. I eventually used my Binks conventional gun for the clear.

Vince
Old 09-24-2003, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

I don't agree that it is a misconception that HVLP uses less air. It does use less air pressure. That is the concept of HVLP. It will atomize the mixture using less pressure, thereby causing less contamination to the air. You can put 100 # of pressure at the inlet if you want to ( makes no sense),but HVLP guns have an adjusting valve feature for pressure at the tip. Every HVLP gun I have used requires 10-15 # of pressure at the outlet tip. If your gun couldn't push the clear coat, boosting the tip pressure a bit might help, but I wonder about your mix ratio. Try adding more reducer and thinning the clear. It will flow much better. I love my HVLP for clear coating and it is a cheapie gun. The side benefit of using the HVLP, especially for clear coat is that it creates much less overspray and waste and since we all know that most clear coat contains cyanide as part of ther chemical mix, the less in the air, the better. Cyanide is the stuff used to "gas" capital punishment criminals. Quite toxic.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:46 AM
Last photo:

I refer you to the following link, for a description of HVLP guns.

http://www.autobody101.com/articles/...%20Atomization

The HVLP gun can and most times does require more air volume to operate properly than a conventional gun.

Vince
Old 09-24-2003, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

I didn't thimk this was a debate. I have been using HVLP guns for 4 years with no problems out of the ordinary. You gave up on your gun. They are very popular , but old school painters have some resistance due to the slower hand speed sometimes required. There is an adjustment period or learning curve involved. I am talking from experience. The concept is fine in my book and one heckuva lot safer and cheaper to use. So, thanks , but no thanks for the article. I am happy with my HVLP experience and the original poster wanted opinions. That was mine. It seems as if you weren't happy with your experience and that is your opinion. Patience grasshopper.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.