The Best Gun for Clear Coats? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 02:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The Best Gun for Clear Coats?

Hey everyone. So my situation is that I have friends who let me use their shop because I help them out when I can. And a few weeks ago I painted a car with their Devilbliss and the base coat went on perfect but the clear coat had big orange peel. I hate orange peel so regardless it was my plan to cut and buff it, but that ****s really hard and I'm sick of doing it. I plan to paint a car every month from now on and I need them to look show car good.

So I have no price limit on the clear coat gun but I'm pretty poor so I'd like to know where to get that gun for cheap (not used though). Right now I think the best gun for shooting plain clear is the Iwata Supernova with the 1.4 platinum cap, but I could be wrong so that's why I'm making this thread.

Thank you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 07:08 PM

Last photo:

clearcoat gun

This topic has been brought up many times before and you'll get different opinions. I use the Supernova 1.3 for clear and am very pleased with the results. It's too slow for production work but that's fine since I'm not a pro. The Sata is comparable to the Iwata and lots of members get great results with Devilbus, Sharpe, etc. I guess what I'm getting at is maybe the problem was the painter and not the CC gun. This is not a slam at you but is based on problems I've had in the past.

regards

Ron
Old 09-03-2011, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

Well you're right I'm not good at painting but that's besides the point because no matter how good I am I'm always going to get orange peel with the gun.

So how come you didn't want the 1.4 tip for clear? I thought that one was supposed to shoot it smoother. And could the clear gun shoot base with out any problems? Or should I just use the Devilbliss at the shop?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

CC gun

I bought it because Iwata recommends the 1.3 for clear plus I got a good deal on it. A 1.4 is fine for both base and clear also. Basecoat is kinda hard to mess up as long as the prep work was done right. Clear requires more skill to lay out smoothly. Search the Forum for the article on spray gun tuning. Sorry I don't have the link handy.

regards

Ron
Old 09-04-2011, 10:51 AM

I use a HVLP gravity feed Binks gun with a 1.4 tip. I use it for both base and clear coats without ever having a problem. I only use a separate gun for primer's and feather fills. I suggest if your going in the market for a entry level gun... I'd use a Devilbiss or a Sharpe. If you want to spend the big bucks I'd go with a Devilbiss, Binks, Iwata, or a Sata.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

Yeah I can just use the devilbliss at the shop but I'd rather get something that has the technology to give me a very close to perfect finish.
So I guess the Iwata Supernova 1.3 clear gun is the one I should buy? I'm sure I read that 1.4 was better but maybe I'm wrong.
Does anyone know where to get a good deal on this gun (for a Canadian)?
I don't want the cup because I want to use the PPS system.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:39 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

I like my Sata
Old 09-05-2011, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercetdg
Yeah I can just use the devilbliss at the shop but I'd rather get something that has the technology to give me a very close to perfect finish.
So I guess the Iwata Supernova 1.3 clear gun is the one I should buy? I'm sure I read that 1.4 was better but maybe I'm wrong.
Does anyone know where to get a good deal on this gun (for a Canadian)?
I don't want the cup because I want to use the PPS system.
Get the 1.4
Old 09-05-2011, 10:00 PM

Last photo:

And should I be getting the LS400H or just the regular LS400? I don't know if I see many people on the internet selling those.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:11 PM

Go and do a search on this and other forums for spray guns. There are hours and hours of reading to do on this subject. Like others have said, you will get a bunch of different opinions.
But as gto_ron suggested, in most cases the painter has more to do with the finish than the gun that is used. It is just a matter of experience.
It can get expensive buying a bunch of guns. I think if I did it all over again, I would buy one really good gun and a cheap primer gun, and use the good gun for base and clear.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:34 AM

Last photo:

try spraygunworld they are cheapest,or ebay there were some pretty good deals there too.i almost bought an devilbiss tekna,untill i bought a used lph400 from ebay for $180.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:25 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

You'd be better off changing your clear.... spending 700.00 on a clear gun wont help you lay it down like a pro but you might look like one ....the clear I use(SPI unversal clear) sands ez and buffs like butter a month later ...You start with a 1.4 tip ,spray it like you want it to look.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:57 AM

Last photo:

Yeah but I want to paint cars with out having to sand the clear coat, that stuff takes too much time. I'm really not that bad with the devilbliss, pretty sure I can paint with it as good as anyone can. But I want something that can help me eliminate the sanding.

I think what I'm going to get is the LS400H 1.3 clear gun, I think that makes sense.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

A 1.3 tip is a 1.3 no matter who makes it. I have a Sata with a 1.3 and it sprays base fantastic using much less material than the 1.4 but it wont spray the good,high solid clears very well unless I sloooow way down , my 1.4 on my old Iwata is perfect it lays down clear fast and like glass everytime...You cant go wrong with a great gun like the 400 but I would definitely go with a 1.4 tip for the clear regardless of who makes it
Old 09-11-2011, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

Gosh darn it, now I need to get this figured out. For every person that says 1.3, there's a person who says 1.4.
The person who recommended the LS400H 1.3 clear was the guy that runs SprayGunWorld.
So could is be that one kind of clear would be better for 1.4 where one might be better for 1.3? If so what clear should I be using with what gun? Or should I even worry about that? I just really want to be laying the most flat clear coat that I can.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.