Best gun for metallic? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 10:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Best gun for metallic?

I have limited air, 9cfm @40 psi.

Guns I've been looking at- Astro Evo 4014- good metallic gun? (For the price I'm probably going to get one anyway.)

I've thought about the Binks M1-G too. I've looked at the Accuspray Issac guns too but never hear anybody talk about them. I'm intrigued by the Asturo guns too, but again, little feedback on them.

I'm thinking about a DeVilbiss 670 for clear. Is this a good choice for metallic base too?

I have a couple of cheap guns; one better for base, the other not so good at base but shoots clear nice. I am at the point where I believe I can be a better painter with better guns.

I haven't ruled out the orange cap Iwata, but is seems like a big expense for a one trick pony.

So let's hear what you guys and gals have to say on the topic. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Last photo:

IMHO, spraying metallic comes down more to technique than anything. Any of those guns you mentioned will have no trouble applying metallic.

Vince
Old 11-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Considering your air supply,you will be limited to what gun you do get.
My vote would be for the Iwata LPH-400 LVB.
This gun is KILLER on metallics as well as ANY base's,sprays at less than 20# and uses 8-9 CFM.
I recently did a large test panel with this gun and Nason Silver metallic base which is with out a doubt,one of the hardest (lousy) paints to spray period.
After some test sprays to set it up,it did the best Nason job I've ever been able to spray with the LVB.
You can get the LV model gun,which is great for clear and the LVB air cap for base if you want to keep it to 1 gun. The cap is the only change needed.
JMO, Mike.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I know metallic is all about technique; I have found it to be very sensitive to gun adjustment, spray distance and speed, everything. My best alternative right now is to use my el cheapo Menards HVLP gravity gun with the air pressure set to 40 psi; the gun is rated 35 psi max. I use alternating spray patterns, move the wet spot around, drop coat, the works. I believe I could get better and more consistent results from a better gun, especially a gun designed specifically for base.

I have been thinking of splurging on the Iwata and getting both tips. Is this gun a good clear and single stage gun too? Is the DeVilbiss 670 a good base and metallic gun? This is the gun I've been eyeing for clear.

I'm trying to get ready for the next painting season, which won't be until May at the earliest around here. This weekend I'm finally going to take down my makeshift spray booth in my shop for the winter. The last weather that painting was feasible was a week ago, and I couldn't make enough time to squeeze another job in. It seems that just a couple of jobs on the street and people want me to do all kinds of stuff now.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

I sprang for the Iwata and later bought the base tip (100 bucks!), shot a van with a light green/silver ppg bc/cc. The results were very good on most areas except the long side panels. I think this is because the gun was running low on air not because of the compressor (15 cfm), but the fittings on my lines and gun were the standard issue, not the high flows. I didn't notice any tiger striping until the clear was shot and moved outside to cure. Most people can't tell but I may reshoot when I can't stand it anymore. I shot a single stage AU on a pickup and the gun made me look like a pro! Used the clear tip for the SS. You'll be happy once you get familiar with the gun. I'll give you 2 extremely important tips...1: shoot test patters and 2: make sure you don't cloud your workspace with overspray because this gun makes you pay attention to how close your tip is to the panel, 4 in. is money. Good Luck.....Jerry
Old 11-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

The LV air cap is THE clear machine. SS is basicaly like laying clear so your good to go for either.My buffer is colecting dust because of it. Just an awsome set up.
Honestly,You need to upgrade your compressor,go with 3/8 hose and couplers and you'll SEE a major improvment.
Even with a low cfm gun,when painting a complete or large panel,you WILL run OUT of air with a little pump.
I've shot clear with everything from a HF hvlp purple gun to a Sata Jet90 RP and the Iwata LV just flat kicks their arse.
These were done with the LV.

Clear coat,Nason 497 and NO buffing.

Single stage black,graphics,clear. All SPI and NO buffing.

I rest my case.

Last edited by Bee4Me; 11-14-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

Bee, I've seen that lawnmower before, could stare at it for hours! Very impressive being "as shot". Good stuff for sure and proof that the Iwata is the gun I want to get to know.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Thanks a lot. I appreciate as well as everyone who shoots paint does when kudos go out BUT.
I can almost "guarantee" that once you spray clear with an LV 400 you'll.......well,It's almost better than, well.....
I got mine before they were "popular" and "I" jacked the price up but,
Check online as well as with a local jobber for one cause I got my 1.4 used and for UNDER $200.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:29 AM

Last photo:

Thanks, guys. You've got me thinking that the Iwata will be just as economical as buying two guns, with better results. We'll see, maybe.

I see they have a purple metallic air cap. Anybody know about this? http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...00Basecap.html

Spraygunworld has kits with two tips. I'm thinking about getting a kit, and buying the third tip, and then I'd be set.

I already have the larger couplings at all points, and it made the difference. It makes my impact hit a whole lot harder too.

A bigger compressor means real electrical service to the garage. When I bought the house, there were two underground 2 conductor 14 gauge lines going out there, but it was connected to an already overloaded household circuit. The other line was for a cheesy 3 way switch setup. When I installed new service in the house, I wired up two dedicated 15 amp circuits for the garage. (It ain't enough. ) Until I dig a 30" trench and run 6 gauge underground wire out there, that's as good as it's going to get. Ideally I'd like to get a separate service for the garage. I don't know if the permit nazis would let me; they already nose around big time trying to catch me doing stuff to my house. When you try to fix up your house around here legally, they come up with a hundred different ways to dork you around for a couple of years. I see my neighbor going through that right now; they've knocked down at least 6 proposals in the last couple years and he's going to come out hundreds of thousands of dollars poorer because of their mandates. (His house isn't historic, it's just "cute", plus about two hundred other little snags. )
Old 11-15-2008, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

i have a 400 love it to death , also sata digitals are good too but im an iwata fan, make great airbrushes too.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Money IS money and believe me. I've wasted enough in cheap guns to pay for 1 or 2 good guns. I learned my lesson the hard way and going cheap is fine if you only plan to shoot once or twice but the "problem" is,that once you get the "bug" your hooked and you want to do more.Then,You realize that your stuff is crap and go for the good guns.
Trick is, To do some easy work in trade for what you NEED. I got my first Iwata doing a simple tailgate replacement paint job. Only cost involved was MY time. I got my compressor for ,well,let's just say it was a deal for ME.
Barter system is great if you work it to YOUR advantage.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.