Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Best - hardest - clear over color coat
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnBortles View Post
I have been using PPG's 2021 for 17 years now. Both of my bikes are painted with it. One thing i love about it, is that its rock hard in a day or so depending on which hardener you use. My bikes take a lot of abuse, i am not easy on my stuff, and they hold up fine.
As for buffing, one time was out of town and did not buff the paint until 2 weeks after it was sprayed and it buffed out so easy.
Last year a customer from 12 years ago sent me his old tins as the bike had been wrecked. I had to paint a new set for him. I got to keep the old stuff and one of the tanks only had a small ding in it. I simply fired up my buffer and the paint looks like new.
I love this stuff and feel its the most painter friendly clear there is. Plus its hard like glass and looks like it.
Glad to see your posting JoAnn...I have a question for you, have you tried the PPG VOC compliant clears yet? I know you've used the Aquabase Water born base coat and that you can apply a non VOC compliant clear over top of it but my opinion on some of the new compliant clears is that they are harder to spray (to get that flat finish with a high gloss) and some take forever to cure. One in particular you need the metal temperature on the car to be 170 degrees F...not booth temperature but metal temperature in order for it to cure under baking conditions. PPG's always had a good line up of clears, from the concept clears...2021 to the Global clears...correct me if I'm wrong but I think the number is D893. The VOC compliant clears seem to leave a lot to be desired.

Ray