Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Best - hardest - clear over color coat
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Glad to see your posting JoAnn...I have a question for you, have you tried the PPG VOC compliant clears yet? I know you've used the Aquabase Water born base coat and that you can apply a non VOC compliant clear over top of it but my opinion on some of the new compliant clears is that they are harder to spray (to get that flat finish with a high gloss) and some take forever to cure. One in particular you need the metal temperature on the car to be 170 degrees F...not booth temperature but metal temperature in order for it to cure under baking conditions. PPG's always had a good line up of clears, from the concept clears...2021 to the Global clears...correct me if I'm wrong but I think the number is D893. The VOC compliant clears seem to leave a lot to be desired.

Ray
I have not yet used it so I cannot give any info. I can tell you this tho, PPG is brutal when it comes to testing their products before they are released to the jobbers. When a PPG product is released, it is something you can use. Paul Stoll, PPG's head tech guy, is a harsh judge of products. He speaks his mind and gives his honest opinion on things. This kind of honesty helps insure that new products are the best they can be before they are released.

Me, I tend to stick with what works for me. Products I have a history with. Last year I started using 2000 on some of my projects and I like it, for some things. But for show quality finish clear that I know will look great and wear like iron for 20 years, 2021 is the way to go.
But for some projects 2000 works great.
I do need to be more open minded and try new products, I have a few new clears from PPG that I will be trying this summer, but before I use them on customer's jobs, I test them on panels and learn how they spray.

That is the number thing many painters do wrong when they use a product they have not yet used. Most products will do the job you want it to do, BUT, first you have to learn how the product sprays, how it reacts under certain conditions.
How long does it take to dry?
How does it like to be sprayed?
Max amount of coats? (We custom painters usually do more than 2 coats.)
How long before its hard?
What does it take to really flow it out?

I never just use a new product on a customer's project. Never, cos every time I do, it bites me. So I slow down and learn.