Best heads for my camaro - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007, 05:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Best heads for my camaro

I have an 81 Camaro and was looking into some new heads to up the hp some. I just got the car a few days ago. it has a Edelbrock performance intake and carb.
i was looking at some AFR 195cc heads they seem good but would they work for what i have? and what kind of power increases can i expect? thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2007, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18camaro
I have an 81 Camaro and was looking into some new heads to up the hp some. I just got the car a few days ago. it has a Edelbrock performance intake and carb.
i was looking at some AFR 195cc heads they seem good but would they work for what i have? and what kind of power increases can i expect? thanks
Knowing the engine size and whether it has cam mods to go with the Edlebrock intake, headers and exhaust system, number of miles, type of transmission and rear gearing would be very helpful.

I ask for mileage and also whether it's burning oil because new heads on an old bottom end will result in very high oil consumption if it's already getting around the rings. Plus if this is an old automatic and you suddenly dump more power on it, they tend to surrender soon afterward.

Heads with 195 cc ports on something less than a 383 or a highly cammed and geared 350 or 305 will kill power under 4000 RPM.

Bogie
Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 PM

it has a .525 lifter cam. 1 5/8" headers with 2.5" exhaust. its a th350 3 speed tranny built and has a shift kit. and it has a 308 rear end. the block is not old he said the safest guess would be 50000 on the lower end but more than likely less (the guy he bought it from swap out the 6 and put in the v8)
Old 10-17-2007, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18camaro
it has a .525 lifter cam. 1 5/8" headers with 2.5" exhaust. its a th350 3 speed tranny built and has a shift kit. and it has a 308 rear end. the block is not old he said the safest guess would be 50000 on the lower end but more than likely less (the guy he bought it from swap out the 6 and put in the v8)
Whoa Kay, alright this has been breathed on, not just some 305 with a big carb. So do you have a clue as to what heads are on it? Casting numbers are under the valve covers. Knowing the pistons would also be good as many are dished for compression ratio relief. Flat tops with 76cc or even 64ish cc heads work well from moderately high with the former and high with the latter chamber. Dish pistons come in two types, circular not the best for detonation resistance and "D" dish which is better because it puts the dish under the valve pocket and places a flat surface like the flat top piston against the squish/quench deck of the head which is good for detonation resistance and efficiency.

Pick up a copy of the December issue of Chevy High Performance, they have a back to back test of 882's I think against some aluminums which might be an AFR, they don't have Dec's on line yet so I'm having to feed off my geriatric memory on this from sittin' on the throne a couple days ago reading the article. How's that for TMI?

Anyway the modern fastburn aluminum head was good for about a 40 hp peak over the older cast iron. This is pretty consistent between older heads from the SMOG era back to the beginning of SBCs with modern heads whether aluminum or iron. So iron vortec to aluminum fastburn type heads (typically with a heart or kidney shaped combustion chamber that features the spark plug toward the ex. valve and against the chamber roof, chamber crowds the ex. valve on the sparkplug side and is relieved around the intake on that side with a beak between the valves is what you're looking for) whether from GMPP or an aftermarket source like the AFRs should pump up the action.

The automatic and 3.08 out back aren't the best combo with your cam, the bigger heads won't help that either. The power band is just going further up the rev range. You can deal with that when you get there. A built 700R4 would make a good choice with a 3.5 rear, that would get the revs up in 1,2,3 and give you a nice OD for cruising the interstates.

Bogie
Old 10-17-2007, 07:42 PM

haha. thanks for all your input, that really clears things up. with the transmission swap and and all though i don't really have that kind of money right now for all that, but can you recommend the best rear end for the setup i have and with me keeping my current tranny.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.