Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Best method/resource to learn making custom dash panels
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Best method/resource to learn making custom dash panels

Hey there,

So I know this is probably a rather broad topic but . . . have to start somewhere.

Recently I bought a 68 Camaro. Nothing special, started out life as a 6 cylinder. Other than the doors and fenders, nothing is original, and as such, I really want to make this thing my own.

In the center of the dash is a removable piece that houses the ash tray, radio, and heater controls.

What I'd like to do is build a custom piece that eventually I'd mount/hardwire a tablet into, that would act as my gps, radio, info center, etc.

What I need to know are things like ideal metal thickness, tool sets to mold/bend it without leaving dent marks, things of that nature. I imagine it's not all to different than body work. For combining pieces, do you all usually use a welder, or is the metal thickness such that you use something else? I've done some exhaust systems using an old 112v MIG. What's the best tool for cutting metal of that thickness. A dremel type with a metal cutoff wheel?

Again, I know this is potentially a huge topic, and I am currently doing the usual google searches, but any direction and advice you all have is greatly appreciated.