Hot Rod Forum banner

Best Oil / Additive for SBC 305

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SierraClassic400sbc 
#1 ·
Gents,

Just trying to get some opinions on what would be the best oil and additive to run in a 305 SBC motor I have. It is a 87-94 305 cubic inch street / strip motor with a flat tappet Crane cam in it. Thanks to all who respond.

Brent

#2 ·
What a can of worms this ones gonna be :D . Look for an oil that still has a good level of zinc and cadmium in it. You can also buy supplements to boost the additives package of any oil you choose to go with. The key is to change it and the filter often. One of the oils that has been mentioned recently is Valvoline Racing oil.

Vince

#3 ·
my 2 cents

I personally stay away from pennzoil and havoline-I've seen the oil turn to tar right under the intake manifold. Mobil or Castrol are good enough, 10W-30 is what I ran in my 305 sbc. Additive wise, I ran 2 qrts of lucas with 3 qrts of castrol, for break-in (first 500-2000 miles), then after break-in I went to synthetics, which were mobil and 1 qrt of lucas, and every once in a while a qrt of Slick 50 high mileage(the thick as mollases stuff). I thought the Slick 50 was a bunch of bull for the longest time, but not anymore, certainly for a daily driving vehicle. Hope this helps, it's not wisdom on my part or anything, mainly opinion. Good luck and May God bless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.