Best Option for prepping / painting frame / chassis? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 11:38 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Best Option for prepping / painting frame / chassis?

Iím starting the teardown and build of a í65 Chevy truck that will be my sonís first ride. This is going to be a budget build, but we are doing a frame off.

I plan to be starting on the frame clean up shortly. Iíll start with the grinder and paint remover discs first, and see how that goes. Next up would be chemical treatment, lastly blasting.

Remember, I said BUDGET. And weíll be doing every bit of this truck ourselves, including paint and body.

Iím not really keen on LEAVING RUST on the frame (itís actually not bad, mainly light scale and surface see the pic below):

So Iíll be grinding and stripping. If that doesnít work Iíll go the chemical removal route. Lastly, blasting.

Which of the following do you think would be the best for durability and finish vs. cost?

1. Spray cleaned / prepped frame with epoxy primer and topcoat with a single stage urethane satin black.

2. Spray cleaned / prepped frame with a compatible primer and topcoat with something like John Deer Blitz Black.

Iím not comfortable with using POR or other rust paints, leaving the rust underneath. Maybe thatís just me.

This will be a DAILY DRIVER for the kid (likely SS urethane satin black for the paint as well, he loves that look as I do I) so itís not going to be a show truck.

Input?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

You may want to do a bit of searching. If I might suggest, forget about cleaning up the frame yourself. You will easily have more in materials if you follow the plan you've outlined than if you have a professional blast the frame. You can get it blasted for between $200 and $300. I saw a post recently that said $250. In addition, unless you are using the proper safety equipment, blasting can be very hazardous to your health.

As far as finishes, again, do a search here. There are a wide variety of products in a wide price range that will do the job. All depends on what type of application you want, and the finish you are looking at. Some possibilities are Imron paint, Epoxy Paint, POR 15, Rust Bullet, etc. Stay away from the Rustoleum. This topic is something like Mustangs and Camaros. Everyone has one

Good luck. have fun with the project. Great to see a dad working with his son on a project.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:53 PM

Last journal entry: V/W Outboard

Best Option for preping / painting frame / chassis?

Gents;
When it comes to Chemical cleaning, I do not Like it because
the Chemical gets between Reveted, or Spot Welded members.
There is NO way to neutralize those Fluids... I made the mistake of having a truck body Chemicaly Dipped. After a really nice paint job, the
Seams would blister under the paint. The Dipping people
said the Stripper would neutralize and be no problem... WRONG.
I have had the best luck, on Frames, using a Fine Grain Sand.
Things like Under Coating, Road Tar, and other Stuff will
need to be removed with Kerosene.
DO NOT use Gasoline!!! it is extremely Dangerous.
Just rent a Sand Blaster with Opperator Hood Gear, and, with Engine driven Compressor. Have the Rental people Prove that
it works prior to leaving their Grounds.
The sand comes in a Paper Bag. Most opperators will allow a small piece of the bag to fall into to blaster while refilling with sand. This "WILL" stop the sand flow.
Most novice blasters do not know how to adjust the blaster.
First; If the previous renter used very course media, it will
need to be totaly cleaned, or it will clog the flow. It is easy to flush.
Just turn on the air and fully open the "Sand Adjustment Valve" and
allow it to purge all the bolders, and gravel, and paper.
To blast;;; "First thing is"--- Completely Close the Sand Valve.
Then Add Sand, being carefull not to allow any thing but Sand to enter the blaster.
Open your "Air Supply Valve" and allow it to Purge the hose and nozzel.
Then slightly open the Sand Valve until there "is" Sand. That is "Enough".
Let the sand and air do their job. After all is opperating well, Play with the sand valve. Most people will Open to much Sand... All this does is "Belch"
globes of sand and do no good. That will also
Empty you Sand Vessel very quickly.
Never adjust the Sand With the Air OFF.
Find a place away from any thing you want to keep.
Keep the Compressor as far away as possible.
Find a place where you want to do some land filling.
Sand blasting is fun! Do not Blast today and Paint tomorrow.
Surface Rust is quick to show.
Happy Trails
bob
Old 04-05-2012, 06:02 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

Darn

I have to junk my car the frame is painted with good ole Rustoleum.... Its been 6 years though
Old 04-05-2012, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfyj
I have to junk my car the frame is painted with good ole Rustoleum.... Its been 6 years though
Nope, just repaint it. Seriously, my experience was painting a frame that was blasted first with Rustoleum primer, them top coated with their product. It didn't last one Michigan winter. I had a mess. Started over with the whole process. Use POR 15. Its now been on for about 8 years. No rust, no chips (I live on a dirt road). YMMV
Old 04-05-2012, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp246
You may want to do a bit of searching. If I might suggest, forget about cleaning up the frame yourself. You will easily have more in materials if you follow the plan you've outlined than if you have a professional blast the frame. You can get it blasted for between $200 and $300. I saw a post recently that said $250. In addition, unless you are using the proper safety equipment, blasting can be very hazardous to your health.
Around here it would cost at least $350 if not more to get a frame sandblasted, not to mention most want to prime then as well. I have access to a blaster, and media is cheap. Iím well aware of the health risks and needed safety equipment.

Iím not planning on spending a lot of money on trying different avenues. Using a grinder and a paint/rust removal disc or wire cup brush wouldnít cost me anything but time.

The ďchemicalĒ process I am referring to is using a phosphoric acid compound to get rid of rust and etch the metal for paint application. Iíve used it successfully on similar projects, and Iím actually using it right now to soak donor parts that have scale rust (control arms, suspension components etc).

Quote:
As far as finishes, again, do a search here. There are a wide variety of products in a wide price range that will do the job. All depends on what type of application you want, and the finish you are looking at. Some possibilities are Imron paint, Epoxy Paint, POR 15, Rust Bullet, etc. Stay away from the Rustoleum. This topic is something like Mustangs and Camaros. Everyone has one
Iím really leaning towards epoxy primer and a decent SS urethane on top. Just putting it out there in case someone has had a good experience with something else. Rustoleum was never an option.

Quote:
Good luck. have fun with the project. Great to see a dad working with his son on a project.
Thanks for the input, itís appreciated. My son and I are looking forward to digging into this one.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:09 PM

Last journal entry: V/W Outboard

Best Option for preping / painting frame / chassis?

Gents;
If you do deside to Sand Blast, DO NOT get carried away and try to sand blast the Fuel Tank. There are easer and cleaner ways to Die.
bob
Old 04-09-2012, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Allen
Gents;
If you do deside to Sand Blast, DO NOT get carried away and try to sand blast the Fuel Tank. There are easer and cleaner ways to Die.
bob

No worries here...the gas tank is in the cab of the old truck.. LOL

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.