best paint for best coverage - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 05:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I tell ya what....That does look great....you did good,very good indeed
Thanks a lot! It means a lot to hear that from people that know what they are talking about. I took all the advice you guys have given here to others. I read a lot. Watched a lot of youtube videos. And went for it! Haha. I will say it was a stressful weekend and I was beat mentally and physically. I also have a much greater respect for those that do this for a living! But now I want to paint more cars! The satisfaction you get from it is amazing. Plus I couldn't afford to do much more than a One Day paint job. And this came out better than another car they did for my son. And I spent half of what they charged me. Now I just hope this lasts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 05:38 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I painted my first car in 76,Like you I had a mixture of half natural talent and a lot of luck I used centari acrilic enamel (a solid color) with a mixing clear (it was cheaper than regular clear) I did it in Moms two car garage,the dang car looked so good the guys at the body shop didnt believe I painted it...I didnt know how to buff so I wanted them to do it for me or show me how,the boss said dont bother it dont need it...I been painting ever since But I've screwed a lot of them up since then.
Unfortunatly that paint job DIDN'tT last 6 month later it had little bubbles popping up all over the whole car...Thats when I learned about compressors and why you shouldnt squirt oil down the air intake when that old wore out piston started making a slapping noise ...oh well live and learn...I repainted that car for free and the second time was just as good it did last a while that time
Old 04-27-2012, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I painted my first car in 76,Like you I had a mixture of half natural talent and a lot of luck I used centari acrilic enamel (a solid color) with a mixing clear (it was cheaper than regular clear) I did it in Moms two car garage,the dang car looked so good the guys at the body shop didnt believe I painted it...I didnt know how to buff so I wanted them to do it for me or show me how,the boss said dont bother it dont need it...I been painting ever since But I've screwed a lot of them up since then.
Unfortunatly that paint job DIDN'tT last 6 month later it had little bubbles popping up all over the whole car...Thats when I learned about compressors and why you shouldnt squirt oil down the air intake when that old wore out piston started making a slapping noise ...oh well live and learn...I repainted that car for free and the second time was just as good it did last a while that time
Cool! Ya that's what scares me. Will it last? I sure hope so. If not I'll be pretty bummed. But like I told my wife. I set my expectations low. And if I screw up I'll look at it as a 500.00 investment of schooling.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 AM

Last photo:

what the best single stage paint i could use ? brand ?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Glasurit used to be tops. Do they even still make it?

Andy (20 years behind...)
Old 05-05-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincentnova
what the best single stage paint i could use ? brand ?
It depends on your budget...Theres a lot of good paints out there.Sherwin Williams has a really good SS thats very hard to get a run with and flows like glass. Glasuritt is still on top and my personal choice..but they're pricey...
I've heard a lot of great responces about Prospray and it might just be the best bang for the buck,I've never used it but I'm looking forward to it...
I do use quite a bit of Nason Ful-thane these days with the money tight as it is... its pretty darn good for cheap paint ,it'll hold up 5 yrs EZ, 10 if you take care of it. I was pretty surprized how well it buffed ,I used it for ten years and never buffed it till this past year.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:41 AM

Last photo:

and about ppg ss ??
Old 05-06-2012, 06:12 AM

sure,as long as its not Omini that would be my last choice Omini is very quick to run ...PPG as a company sucks and their paint is over rated and over priced same with Dupont although I do use chroma base a lot I hate spending money with them even the Nason costs more than its worth,IMO
If there was a Pro spray dist around here, you can bet thats what I'd be using.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.