best paint for best coverage - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 11:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

best paint for best coverage

hi everyone
ive done couple complet car with nason paint, the last one in white
for a good coverage it's at least 5 - 6 passes ( even after, i have to do some retouch there and there for get an universal coverage )
i did a car once with metallic and was maybe 8 to get a universal coevarge
i think nason is good for small parts or small jobs

I'm dying, on you tube when i see some guy who sprays paint and covers everything with one pass ( i know a second is necessaire)

please guys could you tell me a brand that sprays good

when i checked on internet it's look like nason = omni = matrix all have the same kind off coverage

thanks a lot

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 04:40 AM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Maybe its more to do with your gun or how you have the gun set up? air pressure etc.?

Good question, look forward to hearing some comments on this.

Andy
Old 04-26-2012, 09:22 AM

Nason is cheap for a reason, it's extremely thin.
The best paint I've ever sprayed is Spies Hecker (same as Standox). They were originally a German paint, but they're distributed by DuPont now. You really can't buy DuPont paints online, but I do have a source that will ship to you, but you need to call them.
Edit: Spies covers in 1.5 coats!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

Spies Hecker vs ppg ? any idee ?
yes if you could leave me the contact for order I'll appreciate
thx
Old 04-26-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincentnova
Spies Hecker vs ppg ? any idee ?
yes if you could leave me the contact for order I'll appreciate
thx
Honestly, I've never sprayed PPG solvent - I did mess around with their water system at a buddy's shop, but I was not very impressed.
I know Spies/Standox well and would never spray anything else. You will pay for the quality though.

I sent you a PM with the info.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

Are you using water base or solvent paints? I have almost no experience with water base.

In the late eighties Dupont came with their unleaded paints, and it took twice as many coats to cover... and that was over a similar colored sealer!!! I never used it again!

I do use a colored sealer, such as gray or red, and that ensures more even color. I don't know if that helps.

I use R-M for my production colors, and HOK or X-otic for custom colors. I usually get coverage in two wet coats. You will have to pay more for good quality paints, though. If you don't want to spend the money... expect the performance of the paint to suffer in almost every way. That's just the way it is.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:18 AM

Last photo:

I used Sherwin Williams (through Napa) on my daily car. Black and gold over grey epoxy. Worked well, but use the expensive stuff for your color coat. It mixes 2:1 instead of 4:1 and coverage was 2 coats.

To save money, you can use SPI's clearcoat and epoxy primer.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay
Are you using water base or solvent paints? I have almost no experience with water base.

In the late eighties Dupont came with their unleaded paints, and it took twice as many coats to cover... and that was over a similar colored sealer!!! I never used it again!

I do use a colored sealer, such as gray or red, and that ensures more even color. I don't know if that helps.

I use R-M for my production colors, and HOK or X-otic for custom colors. I usually get coverage in two wet coats. You will have to pay more for good quality paints, though. If you don't want to spend the money... expect the performance of the paint to suffer in almost every way. That's just the way it is.
I use solvent, primarily because that's what I'm used to. The water was just to see how it works. I hear good things about the color match, but its learning a whole new system and there isn't much info out there yet in the US cause it's still a new tech.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

I just painted my first car with great results! 2 stage Matrix paint. The Clear was thier Euroclear. And the base is GM Atomic Orange. Came out better than I thought it was going to. And after color sanding it's like glass. And this was in my garage in what some would call Horrible conditions!
http://m.flickr.com/photos/20850090@...2996/lightbox/
Old 04-27-2012, 12:27 AM

Last photo:

whaou look awesome
how many passe to get a full coverage?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Localboy808
I just painted my first car with great results! 2 stage Matrix paint. The Clear was thier Euroclear. And the base is GM Atomic Orange. Came out better than I thought it was going to. And after color sanding it's like glass. And this was in my garage in what some would call Horrible conditions!
http://m.flickr.com/photos/20850090@...2996/lightbox/
Matrix is a PPG knock-off. I'm not surprised you got great results. Biggest problem with Matrix 2k clear is the UV protection is not as good as what you would find in a PPG/DuPont Clear.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

SPI universal clear blows PPG and Dupont away .I used dupont for years as my clear of choice after switching from PPG ,mabee 20yrs ago...I'm no fan of ppg at all..SPI sprays and acts a lot like Glasurit..which was always my first choice if money wasnt an issue These days its my second choice after SPI..
You should be using a single stage urathane anyways and forget about BC/CC with solid colors two coats and your done.its simple ,fast and almost fool proof,even Nason SS is two coats and walk away,their bases ARE a bit transparent and usually need 5 coats for good coverage 3 regular coats and 2 fog coats..But you gotta walk before you can run so I always advise getting some gun time and experiance with the SS paints before you can graduate to the BC/CC....then the tri coat systems..The absolute worst thing anyone can do is try doing a candy right out of the gate it'll never work for a newbie NEVER...Would you rather have a nice looking SS solid color or a sheety looking BC/CC or candy job thats grabs everyones attention but for all the wrong reasons???
Old 04-27-2012, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincentnova
whaou look awesome
how many passe to get a full coverage?
This is two coats over grey primer. Then two coats of of the clear. The base was mixed with 50% medium reducer. 1:1. Very easy to mix. I could have reduced it up to 75%. But I had quite a bit of paint. I used two gallons. And that painted the car inside and out including the trunk. I think that's good? Since its my first time I wasn't sure what to expect. My buddy's brother owns a couple of paint shops and he reccomended this paint. He said it was the best for the money. I told him I didn't want to spend on the most expensive paint since it was my first time. But I also wanted something that was easy to work with. I used a el cheapo HVLP I got from Costco a few years ago. I think I read Divelbiss made the gun.

The clear went on like glass with very little orange peel. Almost none on the flat surfaces. The sides had a little because I was not spraying it on as heavy to try to avoid runs. That seemed to be the trick to avoid the peel. Keep it as wet as you can without running. I got one very small run on the rear quarter that is gone from the color sanding. The results were amazing after the color sanding! It was a long process but worth it!

Just to give you an idea. I did this in three days. Day one was the primer and then sanding it to prep for the base. Day two was the base. That took all day because of a mess up. I had a full paintgun when I shot the roof. Not smart because when the gun was tilted over the anti spill cap couldn't hold enough paint and I spilled a drop on the roof and a bunch down the side of the quarter panel. This was after the first coat! Being a rookie I didn't know what to do. So I tried wiping it gently with a lint free cloth. It wiped the first coat off to the primer! I stopped and just sprayed more color there. Well that wasn't going to work. The drips were darker and much thicker there.

I finished the base. The next morning I sanded the spill area flat which thinned the color there from the thick spots and reshot the base with a light coat. You cannot see that mess up when I was done! In the end I was very happy with my results.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMI
Matrix is a PPG knock-off. I'm not surprised you got great results. Biggest problem with Matrix 2k clear is the UV protection is not as good as what you would find in a PPG/DuPont Clear.
Yup. I guess some of the engineers from PPG broke off and created the Matrix line? Think that's what I've heard. I'm curious how long this will last if left in the sun outside. This car will always be garaged. But still. To me it was well worth the 500 bucks I have in to this to paint it. Considering getting quotes of 5000! Or more!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I tell ya what....That does look great....you did good,very good indeed

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.