Best paint brand ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 06:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Best paint brand ?

Dupont, Limco, RM, PPG are pretty much whats available to me here is there a better brand for the first timer ? What is the best or what would you use? Are there any pros or cons to one or the other ? And yes I will use the complete product line of which ever I choose .And it will be a base clear paint .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 06:54 PM
Garage Filler

Last journal entry: I need more time!
Last photo:

Sorry, my 10 foot pole is in the shop.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:10 PM
Last photo:

Never heard of Limco, but DuPont and PPG are pretty much on an even keel IMO.

Vince
Old 07-31-2006, 08:55 PM
X711

Last photo:

Limco is made by BASF, It is supposed to be pretty competitive in price.

If you are doing a car or whatever there is no need to use the same manufacturers primer as typically common paint manufacturers dont sell too
much primer hence "High Prices" for the stuff.

><
Old 07-31-2006, 08:57 PM

Last photo:

Limco is basf's equivalent of ppg's omni. Its a lower line of paint. I like the base a little better then the omni.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:12 PM
Last photo:

If I do another car in the near future I will be using SPI 2K primer instead of PPG K36 and SPI's clear instead of PPG DCU2002, both could have saved me some serious $$$$. If Barry comes up with some custom mixing I could also use SPI's base.

Vince
Old 07-31-2006, 09:40 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Fan
Sorry, my 10 foot pole is in the shop.
LOLOLOLOL. You make me raff all night long.

Big Dog, you want to know the best paint, the absolute best, without a doubt most awsome paint ever made in the universe?

I'll tell you what it is, it is the brand used by the painter you ask the question of, that's what.

Every single one of the brand mentioned will give you a great end product. If you can, get into the stores and see how you are treated. See if they answer some questions and let you feel at home. I think that is the most important thing at this point.

Brian
Old 08-01-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
If I do another car in the near future I will be using SPI 2K primer instead of PPG K36 and SPI's clear instead of PPG DCU2002, both could have saved me some serious $$$$. If Barry comes up with some custom mixing I could also use SPI's base.

Vince
That was exactly my thinking...For the same reason I recently ordered their epoxy, turbo primer and universal clear. If the end result is anything close to the customer service I received then I'll be a customer for life. I'm convinced Barry and company will do just about anything to assist their customers.

Calling me a novice gives me way too much credit but I'll be sure to post my results.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:12 AM

Last photo:

I use Diamont with SPI reducer, epoxy, turbo primer and clear. You can't beat the quality, price and customer service. www.southenpolyurethanes.com
Rusty
Old 08-02-2006, 01:57 PM
official pimp

just remember that rm basecoat white, bc105 sucks when it comes to coverage, especially if your goin over dark colors.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:36 AM

Last photo:

Sikkens is a good paint.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

I haven't used sikkens products for probably 15 years till this week. I used one of there low lines, U tech and have to say I am pleasently surprised with it so far if your comparing to Limco or Omni. It is also an activated base. For 2 quarts silver, 1 quart black metallic, a quart of activator and a gallon of reducer (only needed a quart reducer, but supplier didn't have the reducer in quarts) the price came to $161. It is a 2-1-1 mix so take that into consideration if comparing to a 1-1 base, but with good coverage I didn't need a real lot. The silver covered easily in 3 coats, the black in 2. It was nice getting quick coverage, which seldom happened with omni and Limco had a few coverage issues with. I'll probably be trying it some more and see if I keep getting that kind of coverage with it, if I am going to be using a lower line base on another car.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:06 PM

Last journal entry: 99 soft tail standard I painted
Last photo:

I use R-M Diamont for now,but like the others,I am in getin ready to try some S.P.I stuff.Diamont is the best I have used so far,with DuPont and PPG a distant second.Time will tell,I am painting my personal car with S.P.I. and I am looking foward to seeing the results.

On a side note,I wouldnt put Limco,or Omni on my dogs house.

Just my 0.02,Hope it helps!

EVIL
Old 08-03-2006, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

I used the spi universal clear on that car with the u tech base. It was hot and humid and had gun malfunction laying first coat of clear and the activator I had was a little to fast for the conditions I was in. But can tell the spi universal clear is going to be a real sweet clear. And its priced right too. And the best part was buffing it, it came right back, very easy to buff. A good thing when you get some screw ups along the way and you need to buff. If it weren't for a few runs, dirt, and I few small areas that ended up a little dry, I probably wouldn't had to buff, It was laying flat. Most of the car looks like can be saved, I'll just have to repaint a few sand throughs I got on spots I ran.Can't wait till try it again under less extreme conditions when I am not rushing to get it cleared before the weekend ends and my guns are all checked and working before starting. If I end up doing a transam I have to write an estimate on, I'll probably use more spi products on that, like the black base, epoxy and universal clear again. This thread is starting to look like an advertisement for spi, but if it wasn't what people said it wouldn't continue to get the great reviews from various people who have used it. This is the first time I tried it, but am liking what I am seeing so far.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28

Vince
I think Barry is working on some new colors as we speak and I think he's supposed to post it on his website when the color samples are made. I could be wrong, but, I think I read the news somewhere. I've been very happy with the products I've used over the past few years from SPI. I have used Limco and other inexpensive lines of paint and my experience has been it looks ok but doesn't hold out as long as the more well know brands. just my experience.

John

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.