Hot Rod Forum banner

Best paint type and color for lousy body work?

15K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  charchri4 
#1 · (Edited)
You guys have taught me much and I have FINALLY had enough dope slaps to learn I need to ask BEFORE I try stuff! :spank:

So I have a tiny 2 seat car that I have managed to dump nearly 2 gallons of fiberglass and 2 quarts of duraglass on in flares, scoops and patches. The car is on extremely stiff suspension literally out of a SM race car and will do 0-60 in a rather voilent 3.6 seconds. In other words this thing is going to have more cracks than a plumbers convention before I reach the end of my driveway...

My plan was BC CC blue pearl with silver stripes but I've spent enough time here to know the only way I could do more damge than shooting a pearl is to shoot it with gas and light a match. So I'm asking you guys what is the best choice of color and paint type to hide jr high body work and fix cracks in every 3000 miles?

#7 ·
If the panels fit well, then white. If they don't, the gaps look like black stripes, if they are all messed up you can see it very easily. Probably the best in my opinion across the board is a light gold metallic, it is amazing what it will hide.

Brian

#20 ·
The concept is growing on me but without the curves of the Cobra the combo dosn't look quite as good on a Miata.

Mine looks more like this though and with the big wheels, flares and stuff it would look OK I think

Any advantage to matt or semi gloss rather than gloss white?

Would single stage urethane be better or easier to fix cracks than BC CC?

#23 ·
The concept is growing on me but without the curves of the Cobra the combo dosn't look quite as good on a Miata.
The blue stripes look ok; but with the red stopping at the edge of the hood, it looks like you've re-painted the hood and haven't finished re-doing the stripes.
Either lose the red completely, or bring it over to meet the blue and follow it down the nose

Any advantage to matte or semi gloss rather than gloss white?
I would go with a semi-gloss so you don't have a lot of reflections to show where the bad body work is.
If you go too flat, then it just looks like a bad paint job that doesn't shine

#26 ·
Working on it today I had a couple thoughts. It seems to me if I put a another layer of very fine weave (not cloth) over my flares all the way to the ends of the panels it would be just like body kits are. It might crack but you would never see it because the joint is hidden.

The other thought I had is I wonder of plasti dip is stretchy enough to hide cracks if they happen under it. I've never seen a car with it but plenty of photos and it would be OK in a lighter color.

Just thinking out loud.

#32 · (Edited)
Actually I am not that fussy. I don't care much for car shows and all I really want is to walk out the door after work and see it in the lot 100 feet away and think damn that is a cool car. It pretty much does that now so that should be an easy mark to hit.

I did a little more reading and watched some videos on plasti dip. Might be OK if you wanted to change the color every season or 2 and liked that flat nerf ball look. But there are plenty of miles after dark with bugs hitting it and a fair number of miles over 100 mph on the track to beat the front of it up. I would imagine single stage urethane white would be easy to clean and touch up and be a better choice.

I really appreciate all the input to this thread. You guys have been extremely helpful and I think you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.