best "performance" muffler - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2004, 07:57 PM
dion's Avatar
72 Chevy Cheyenne
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Age: 46
Posts: 217
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
best "performance" muffler

I'd like to get everyone's opinion on what they think is the best muffler out there as far as performance goes. Best flowing, best for HP/TQ etc..

I did a search but didn't really see anything that answered my question.

I recently swaped from flowmaster 40's to 50's delta flow and I know you guys are going to say I'm on crack but it seems like I did loose a little top end power.

My set up is

built 350 .060 bore
bowl poerted polished 186 humps
64 cc 2.02 1.60
1.6 roller rockers
no test done but guessing 10.5 CR
victor jr intake
306 duration 550 lift crower cam
modified 750 q jet
accell HEI w/supercoil
headers into 2.5 inch pipes

what would be the best muffler to squeeze out every last bit of power?

thanks for your input.

Dion

    Advertisement

Last edited by dion; 05-28-2004 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2004, 07:59 PM
stepside454's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St. louis area
Age: 47
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if noise control isnt an issue, Id use the Dynomax Bullet race mufflers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2004, 08:05 PM
lluciano77's Avatar
Short changed on common sense
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: california
Age: 37
Posts: 3,548
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't use anything but Hooker Aero Chambers. They sound good. They don't have the raspy sound like other mufflers. Also they flow better than Flowmaster.

Last edited by lluciano77; 05-29-2004 at 04:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2004, 08:18 PM
Meka's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2003
Age: 26
Posts: 179
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
www.v6z24.com/howto/mufflerchoice?*

not a chevy 350 but still pretty interesting dyno tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2004, 09:48 PM
Ghetto Jet's Avatar
current hot rod: CTS-V
 

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 28
Posts: 1,728
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 10
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
read this!!!

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance....p/exhaust.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2004, 07:31 AM
345coupe's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Outside the Beltway
Age: 45
Posts: 109
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lluciano77
I don't use anything but Hooker Aero Chambers. They sound good. They are sound really, and don't have the raspy sound like other mufflers. They flow better than Flowmaster also.
Testify, Brother! Can I get an amen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 62
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: best "performance" muffler

Quote:
Originally posted by dion
I'd like to get everyone's opinion on what they think is the best muffler out there as far as performance goes. Best flowing, best for HP/TQ etc..

I did a search but didn't really see anything that answered my question.

I recently swaped from flowmaster 40's to 50's delta flow and I know you guys are going to say I'm on crack but it seems like I did loose a little top end power.

My set up is

built 350 .060 bore
bowl poerted polished 186 humps
64 cc 2.02 1.60
1.6 roller rockers
no test done but guessing 10.5 CR
victor jr intake
306 duration 550 lift crower cam
modified 750 q jet
accell HEI w/supercoil
headers into 2.5 inch pipes

what would be the best muffler to squeeze out every last bit of power?

thanks for your input.

Dion
Dion,

You really should join the 67-72 forum with that ride in your avatar...I have a 71 with a ZZ502....lots of good stuff on that forum---of course I am assuming you aren't on there already.

Here is the link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...3?s=&forumid=3

Last edited by Miket; 05-29-2004 at 10:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2004, 02:44 PM
TurboS10's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Texas
Age: 37
Posts: 3,463
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote dynomax....any of them. They are all the same except for packaging and the amount of packing around the inner tube. They are straight through and dont have the raspy metallic sound of flowmasters. Dont get me wrong, I like flomaster alright and have a pair on my 57, but since then I have decided that dynomax is much better and I have two vehicles with them.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2004, 03:27 PM
1957ford's Avatar
If it don't go Add Horsepower!
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Oregon
Age: 47
Posts: 29
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got dual Supertrapp's on my '57. Totally tuneable. Great deep mellow rumble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Posts: 32
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my opinion, most quality aftermarket mufflers will have similar performance. By this I mean that you would probably not feel a "seat of the pants" difference. I think it's more about what kind of sound or sound level you want. I've had a number of exhaust systems on my 500hp 68 camaro. I have 1 3/4" headers and a 2.5" x-pipe system with full tailpipes out the back. my quest has always been about getting the sound I want. I had a set of spintech's on it, didn't like the sound. I had a set of flowmaster 40 series delta flows which I liked a lot. Combined with the x-pipe, they had a pretty mellow sound to them. The cops around here are cracking down, and recently I got an exhaust noise ticket. I went to a set of cheapy dynomax/thrush turbos. It's a lot quieter, but It kind of sounds like a gardening truck. I saw a dyno test using the new super 40 flowmasters that impressed me, so I might try those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2004, 04:37 PM
lluciano77's Avatar
Short changed on common sense
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: california
Age: 37
Posts: 3,548
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Meka
www.v6z24.com/howto/mufflerchoice?*

not a chevy 350 but still pretty interesting dyno tests.
Look at the Hookers. They flow more than Flowmaster and they sound better than the Borlas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Docs91RS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago,IL.
Age: 49
Posts: 130
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by streetk14
In my opinion, most quality aftermarket mufflers will have similar performance. By this I mean that you would probably not feel a "seat of the pants" difference. I think it's more about what kind of sound or sound level you want. I've had a number of exhaust systems on my 500hp 68 camaro. I have 1 3/4" headers and a 2.5" x-pipe system with full tailpipes out the back. my quest has always been about getting the sound I want. I had a set of spintech's on it, didn't like the sound. I had a set of flowmaster 40 series delta flows which I liked a lot. Combined with the x-pipe, they had a pretty mellow sound to them. The cops around here are cracking down, and recently I got an exhaust noise ticket. I went to a set of cheapy dynomax/thrush turbos. It's a lot quieter, but It kind of sounds like a gardening truck. I saw a dyno test using the new super 40 flowmasters that impressed me, so I might try those.
I just order a set of the Spintech Sportsman Street XL mufflers for my Camaro. Just curious which ones you had and what you didnt like about the way they sounded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2004, 05:48 PM
Robbie's Avatar
Member
 

Last journal entry: nova
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Macon Georgia
Age: 46
Posts: 289
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
purple hornets header mufflers sounds the best to me..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2004, 06:47 PM
dion's Avatar
72 Chevy Cheyenne
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Age: 46
Posts: 217
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great info, thanks guys. It looks like Hooker or Dnyomax might be in my future.

noise level really isn't an issue but I don't want to be oboxious either. I really want to find something that flows great and has the vinyage muscle car sound.

miket, been on that site for a while now and it's great.

thanks again for the input everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 62
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dion
great info, thanks guys. It looks like Hooker or Dnyomax might be in my future.

noise level really isn't an issue but I don't want to be oboxious either. I really want to find something that flows great and has the vinyage muscle car sound.

miket, been on that site for a while now and it's great.

thanks again for the input everybody.

Dion:

No problem....I will keep an eye out for ya when i am on there...

I have Flowmaster 40's with 3" pipe on my 71 ...it has an H Pipe... it's pushing 665hp...its loud inside but nice tone outside

I have Magnaflows on my Chevelle-3inch pipe no "H"...pushing around 750hp...sounds nice out back...

I have Dynomax Super turbo's on the Suburban (496) and they sound warm and mellow.

I like all of them for different reasons. I would try and hook up with a few people in your area to hear them first hand.....just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.