Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Best place to install electric fuel pump? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/best-place-install-electric-fuel-pump-189859.html)

inrc 12-30-2010 05:12 PM

Best place to install electric fuel pump?

Will the edelbrock fuel pump 1791 work well installed by the engine rather than the fuel tank?

WDCreech 12-30-2010 05:17 PM

Electric pumps push better than they pull, so the best place for one would be slightly lower than the tank outlet, but close.

airboat 12-30-2010 05:17 PM

Best place is behind fuel tank and lower. Can't always have best... Will it work... Sure...Could it cause problems, Sure...

nastynova 12-30-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDCreech
Electric pumps push better than they pull, so the best place for one would be slightly lower than the tank outlet, but close.

^^this... improper placement leads to premature failures...

WDCreech 12-30-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nastynova
^^this... improper placement leads to premature failures...

How so? It's best to gravity feed the pump, and for drag racing it's best to have the pump behind the tank/cell.

nastynova 12-30-2010 11:04 PM

I was trying to simply state that your quote it correct... and the other placements in incorrect places can lead to problems... that all...

inrc 12-31-2010 12:12 AM

Ok understood. thanks

Torque454 12-31-2010 06:28 PM

Lower than the fuel tank and as close to it as possible.

keitho64 09-19-2012 10:09 PM

OK so I am going to resurrect an old thread. My 1969 911 has an electric fuel pump mounted in the engine compartment. It is feeding a pair of weber carbs so I am running the fuel pressure at 4psi and it is controlled by an adjustable regulator. This was the factory installation so it has been this way for a long time, it is pulling the fuel through rather than pushing.

I am running into a situation where the fuel pressure will intermittently drop to 1.5 to 2 psi. When this happens my wide band o2 sensor will show AFR greater than 15.6.

I am going to relocate the fuel pump and mount it at the base of the tank and push the fuel through vs pull, which is how it is operating now. I am not sure if my pump is failing, if it is sucking air or vapor locking.

After reading this thread and a few others the general consensus is electric pumps operate better when pushing. I know my car came from the factory with the electric pump pulling but the modern fuel blends may be playing a part in the problem.

OK so now the real question, should I add a return line for the tank while I am at it? Is a return line needed on a carb setup? I assume not since it never had one but best to check first.

Thanks

Keith

Cape Cod Bob 09-20-2012 09:38 PM

After reading lotsa info on this when I put in my electric pump , the consecus was that a 7=8 lb pump running to a 4 lb reg will be OK without the return line. I used a napa pump .
How old is your pump? I was told by an napa old timer that they don't last to long. Maybe you just need a new one.:welcome: