Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - the best place to put quarter skin seam
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer
After looking at the contour of the car more, I can't see how I want the seam to be on the top. I'd rather prefer to do a buttweld rather than an overlap, and I think I've got a good strategy to do it.

I need to wait for the next sale to buy the panel but I'm excited to start. The problem is I'm always excited to start this stuff in thinking about it, and it usually turns to hell within a matter of only a few hours.

If you're going to butt weld it, you'll have to learn to take out the shrink that comes with the welding.
You'll also need to learn how to use a shrinking disc.

If in a couple hours things turn to stink, these are the two things you will need to understand and learn to get you out of trouble.

Pick up a couple of scrap pieces of sheet metal and weld them together by tacking only with the mig.
After they cool, you'll have to hammer on dolly to stretch all the shrunken metal out. When you do this, you will overstretch somewhere for sure. This is where the shrinking disc comes on.

Without learning this basic welding, stretching, shrinking, you will be exactly in the same spot you've been in before once again
no matter where you put the weld seam.

These 1'' welds were done and then the weld was stretched back to where it started with hammer on dolly. I did 1'' at a time so I knew where the warping problem came from.

Last edited by 123pugsy; 03-15-2011 at 07:13 PM.