Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - the best place to put quarter skin seam
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Yep, it works like a dream. As far as Butt welding it, yes you can but it will add quite a bit of difficulty to the project. What is the overall expectation of the car? What is the condition of the rest of the car?

Don't let people scare you with the whole flange weld seams are a place for rust to start BS, the ENTIRE CAR is held together with these style welds! EVERY SINGLE SEAM on the ENTIRE CAR is a flange, lap style weld! One more isn't a big deal.

But yes, if this is a special car and you want it extra nice, a butt weld would be the way to go.

Brian
ok, you've got my attention.

The overall expectation of the car is to make it the nicest car I can, minimizing as many short cuts as possible and doing everything as right as possible. This also meant the floor pan was butt welded in rather than lap welded. The rest of the car is in good shape; the full left quarter has already been replaced, as well as the tail light panel. I've completely restored the front, and am using the original fenders.

If you flange lap weld, do you just do a series of plug welds? I've heard that the flanger will cause some distortion in the metal in areas where the body line curves, such as the area immediately beneath the quarter window on the Mustangs.

I don't want to do a full quarter again because getting everything aligned was such a pain. Of course since I haven't done a skin yet it's easy for me to say it will be easier.

Will you still get extensive shrinking that will need to be addressed even after doing a series of many small tack welds, hopping around the panel and allowing for natural cooling?

I don't notice a lot of distortion on the other things I weld (I do patch repairs as butt welds as well), but I've never had to do a long run on a big flat panel like this. And that is a very long ways to make a lot of tack welds.