Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - the best place to put quarter skin seam
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 08:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ok, back to this thread again. I ended up just getting a full quarter and cutting it down to make my skin.

The test fit was good, got everything screwed down how I liked it. I ended up taking my cut off wheel and cutting the old metal right along the top of the seam of the new metal, making a perfect seam, and butt welded the entire thing. I actually think this way would have been way easier than doing an overlap weld.

Well, I'm here now to deal with the woes of butt welding. Even though I spaced my tacks and let them cool naturally, I've got some pretty serious warpage. One of the pics lets you see it real well.

I went back and reread what puggy offered....on dolly hammering, then shrink. I would like more advice on this. I finished everything up then did not even touch the warpage until I see what is recommended here.

The problem I get with on dolly hammering is it makes a real low spot where I was doing the hammering, even though I'm trying to hold the dolly tight against the back. Am I doing something wrong?

Given what you see in the pics, what would you guys do. The high peaks and low areas are very obvious to feel out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Mustang 012.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	610.8 KB
ID:	56012   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Mustang 029.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	585.7 KB
ID:	56013   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Mustang 020.jpg
Views:	118