Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - the best place to put quarter skin seam
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 11:36 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

While you guys were debating away in here, I stepped out to work this weld, then stopped as a few questions arose.

First off, I CAN get access to the back of the entire weld. It is not fun, it is not easy, it is hard on the back, legs, forearms, any body part you name it. Mix t this with having to push the dolly against the back of the weld, then strike it from the front with a hammer...literally 30 seconds of doing that and I'm wiped.

I took a paint stick so I can lay it along the weld and see every low spot. I'd like to know how you guys are planishing your welds. I have a slapper (which I don't know what I'd do without), and a hammer and dolly set.

1. Do I stretch the LOW spots so those come up, relax the metal and allow the high spots to ease back down?

2. Do I have to give the high spots some gentle persuasion with the slapper to ease them back down?

I've found the best dolly is if I stick the slapper in the back and go at the front with a hammer to do the actual stretching. When I think I'm getting close, I move a dolly to the back and move to the slapper on the outside to try to 'shape' the metal more.

3. How HARD should I be hitting? Right now I'm giving gentle blows, harder than a tap but lighter than a smack. I'm really worried that if I'm doing a smack and I miss my target I'm screwed.

I'm debating if I should post a video so you guys can watch my technique.