Hot Rod Forum banner

the best place to put quarter skin seam

25K views 93 replies 12 participants last post by  123pugsy 
#1 ·
Hey all you radical dudes.

First things first. I've done a lot of reading, and have searched through the old threads on this board for quarter skins. I don't want to be That Guy that asks the same redundant question again. So if you are already aware of a good thread that answers this question, don't feel like you have to waste your time answering it yet again, just link me.

Now on to the business...

I have some aweful damage concealed with 1/2" of filler on the pass. side quarter. It's not repairable and the panel is so friendly you could probably get sex from it if you stood close enough (perhaps I should start standing closer).

I had a nightmare in replacing the full quarter on the driver's...so much that I gave up and took it in. Also replaced the tail light panel.

I want to try a skin on the pass side. I have a nice MIG that I'm decent with, not a pro, but not a beginner. I also will butt weld the panel in, not over lap. I also have an ever growing collection of body tools and some formal education on body work from the local tech school because I wanted to help my hobby.

I've read on Mustang Monthly that they put the seam on the top surface ( that is, the area between the body line and the trunk lid) rather than on the side of the car. It seems this would be much easier to conceal too, than a seam on the side of the car.

What have your experiences been? Thanks in advance. You guys are a cool bunch of dudes!

See less See more
#77 ·
Lizer said:
Wow you have your own line of body tools? If you were in showbiz that'd be cologne that we'd be looking at.

The 1024 is exactly what my slapper is. I had borrowed one like the 1052 from a body shop who gave me a lot of help when I lived in Iowa but unfortunately I lost those contacts. That dolly with the handle was difficult to use because it was so heavy to extend and hold for this purpose.
By the way, I am just tossing stuff out there on the off dolly and on dolly what not. Wait until Pugsy responds before you run out there and do what I say. I know your hot to trot but fight the urge. :sweat:

Also, I have that 1052 at work. For home I picked up the same tool (though not quite the same quality) at Harbor Freight for a lot less money.

Brian

#81 ·
Check the image below.
Don't touch the high spots circled in red.

Slap the low spots circled in green. You'll want to hear a ''ring''
on your hammer to slapper blows so that metal actually stretches.

Planish on a 2" strip along the wels seam only. Do not walk up higher or lower than this even though the temptation to do so tells you to.

You will see these low areas come up immediately and then you'll start to get a feel for it.

Attachments

#82 ·
123pugsy said:
Check the image below.

Planish on a 2" strip along the wels seam only. Do not walk up higher or lower than this even though the temptation to do so tells you to.

You will see these low areas come up immediately and then you'll start to get a feel for it.
Thanks for the illustration. How hard should I be hitting these? What you've described is what I had been doing but with little success. It's difficult to get the slapper/dolly really tight against the back of the panel, and I may also be hitting too soft or too hard.

#85 ·
Good info for him Pugsy. You mentioned earlier that you did not MIG weld. The problem Josh is going to run into is the MIG weld is much harder than a TIG weld. He is going to have a hard time planishing that weld enough to raise it up enough to relieve those waves. Especially since he has very limited access to the area behind it. Hopefully he can leverage a long handled spoon or slapper against a wooden block or something that will allow him to raise it but it will be tough.

I wonder Josh if you could build a tool. Maybe take a heavy steel bar or weld a bolt in a 1 inch pipe and grind the head into a crown shape. If you could make holes in the inner panel, maybe he could use that as a hammer, hitting the weld like a cue stick. That while holding the dolly on the outside. I know this is easier said than done. The bottom line is you have to be able to work the weld area enough to stretch it out to the size it was. That weld area has to grow just like pie doe does when your wife rolls it out with a rolling pin. (hope she bakes). What you are running into is the single biggest disadvantage to a MIG welder.

John L

#86 ·
123pugsy said:
Check the image below.

Thanks from me too, good illustration. :thumbup:

Brian

#87 ·
Ok, I have an update! I paused from this to work on build priming and blocking...almost the entire car basically.

Tonight I attempted my surgical experiment I've wanted to try for some time. If you direct yourself back to Pugsy's illustration where he circled the high and low spots on my quarter....the first red oval on the left is a really high spot, and that area is gone! All level and not ripply! Starting about where that red oval is and to the left through the green oval, I cut that weld back open for about 6 inches.

This seemed to relax that area quite a bit. Now I could take my dolly back there and actually see it in the crack--good assurance it was exactly where I wanted it to be. I wailed on it to stretch the metal. Then I'd take my slapper and planish the entire cut, then go back with my hammer to stretch some more. I then blocked it so I could see the high and low spots in the EDP coat, then used my slapper to work down the high spot with the dolly behind a low spot until it was relatively flat under the hand.

I then rewelded it back shut very carefully, splitting the distance between each weld and letting them cool naturally. Except this time after every set of two or three welds I would resume wailing to stretch, so I can keep ahead of the shrinking. A few more tacks, cool, planish, tack, cool, planish. It took quite a while but by the time it was done it was virtually ripple free in that six inch repair, and the weld was slightly puckered in so I have some room for my filler without creating an obvious bulge on the side.

I should note as it got down to the last few remaining welds, I ground down the welds and planished well before placing the last several tacks.

I'm planning on doing this to the entire weld along the side and it should bring it back to a flat surface.

#89 ·
Well i finished this today and just about have it prepped for epoxy. I hate prepping, by the way, and I'm super anal so it takes forever.

All said and done, I ended up cutting the entire length of weld back open as I described earlier, doing it in three sections. The difference between how it is now and before is night and day. There are still small ripples but I can work with them; they can easily be covered when I glass over the seam and they're on par with what I've ended up with on all my other butt welds. But there aren't giant high spots sticking out anymore where the metal puckered to the outside. Most of the entire seam is puckered in. I found this happened largely as a result of the on-dolly hammering. I was putting my slapper behind the panel, using it as a long dolly, then using my hammer on the outside. Because I can't hold the slapper super tight against the back of the metal, I think the metal gives a little. I found when I was stretching the side that runs along the trunk it wasn't puckering in at all because I could put a lot of muscle behind the dolly. I eventually had to let up and do it as I was doing the previous sections so I would have a consistent seam all the way down.

The first six inch section I tried sits in lower than the other sections. I found it was much better to just do a long section at a time.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some epoxy on, then I can do my bump and filler work and get this panel on its way.

Attachments

#92 ·
Well it wouldn't have happened without your guys' help. Even though I don't think the fix I ended up doing was one we discussed, the discussions that take place in threads like these (and my hood thread) still really shape the way one looks at metal working. If anything, it builds confidence as well. So thanks everybody! :thumbup::D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.