best polish for ceramic headers?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 10:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

best polish for ceramic headers??

Whats the best polish to use on ceramic coated headers???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 02:46 AM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

They call it ceramic, but I think it's actually an aluminum alloy of some sort. (open for critiques) Although I've never tried to polish mine, I would try some good ol Never dull, or some of that Mothers 'power metal'.

I just noticed tonight after a little ride, my well seasoned engine and Jet Hot coated super comps are turning white and flaking off. ALL 8!

When I took delivery of these headers last year, I snapped some good pics of the super thin coating they applied. It didn't look that good at all. I suppose they will be getting a call.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Go ahead kid squeeze the wheez

Last photo:

I purchased a set of Hooker Headers and Side Pipes from Jet Hot, pre-coated with Sterling Silver. When they came in, they had areas that had a white powder coating on them that would not rub off. I called Jet Hot and was told that this was the abrasive compound used to polish at the factory and it should come off with Mother's, and it did. Point being, why didn't they do this before they left the factory?

After about 500 miles of street use, the headers turned gray about 6-8" from the heads. I called Jet Hot and they said I must be running lean and exceeded their 1300* max temperature. I asked if they would re-coat if I pay shipping, NOT! They suggested replacing them with the new Extreme Sterling rated at 1700*F?

I have too much invested to change, but when the time comes, I will not buy Jet Hot products!
Old 06-15-2008, 04:29 PM
NAVY VETERAN

Last photo:

hedmann recommends just using 000 steel wool.the polishes leave behind oily resudue that will turn the headers color.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Revolution Calling

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdailey
I purchased a set of Hooker Headers and Side Pipes from Jet Hot, pre-coated with Sterling Silver. When they came in, they had areas that had a white powder coating on them that would not rub off. I called Jet Hot and was told that this was the abrasive compound used to polish at the factory and it should come off with Mother's, and it did. Point being, why didn't they do this before they left the factory?

After about 500 miles of street use, the headers turned gray about 6-8" from the heads. I called Jet Hot and they said I must be running lean and exceeded their 1300* max temperature. I asked if they would re-coat if I pay shipping, NOT! They suggested replacing them with the new Extreme Sterling rated at 1700*F?

I have too much invested to change, but when the time comes, I will not buy Jet Hot products!
Ya, I guess I got burned right along with the nice pretty coating from Jet Hot.

Here's another piss and moan about Jet Hot... Before this set of Jet Hot coated super comps, I actually had the SAME header on the engine (same setup all along) from Hooker that were ceramic coated from Hooker out of the box... and you know what? They stayed as nice as day one.

I now wish I hadn't put them on my 4WD during the restoration of my 2WD.. I bought the black ones, changed the colletors and welded on O2 bungs then shipped them to Jet Hot.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:27 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi C-10 & jsdailey,
I was going to contact jet hot because of the company reviews here, now after reading what has happened to you guys I think I'll try & find someplace else, the reviews that are there are from Irelands child, Jan 2007 & 5 windo, Feb 2004
Can either one or both of you write your experiences
with jet hot in the company review section so others
will be warned.
Thanks for the heads-up,
Rich
Old 06-15-2008, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

Mine are sanderson only had the car running about 3 weeks,just don't want to screw them up with the wrong kind of polish,I'm assuming that I shouldn't use anything abrasive thats why I wondered what others are using to clean&polish them
Old 06-15-2008, 11:45 PM

Last photo:

Anybody ever used Performance Coatings Inc.? Thinking about getting my 3" dual system & headers done.

http://www.headercoatings.com/
Old 06-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Revolution Calling

Last photo:

I will gladly share my experience with anyone in this hobby.

I really didn't intend to go off topic and talk negative about a company, but when a question was raised about polishing ceramic coating, I thought, "man, that'd be nice to have enough of a coating to actually polish!"

I'm envious of those whom can polish their own headers...

Up until now they (headers) looked fairly decent, but there are traces of surface rust now. And these are on a vehicle that hasn't seen rain yet. I say 'yet' because I drive out of state to shows, so it's bound to happen.

SSedan64- I havn't had anything done by them. Come to think of it, I don't know anybody around my neck of the woods that has anything by them either.

Surely somebody has.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:17 AM

Last photo:

C10- I know how you feel, I've heard a few complaints from people I know about JetHot. I've also notice that the headers that come from Hedman & Hooker already coated look much nicer/thicker than the ones straight from JetHot. I guess the Manufacturers wont accept the half coated stuff.LOL!
Old 06-16-2008, 07:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
C10- I know how you feel, I've heard a few complaints from people I know about JetHot. I've also notice that the headers that come from Hedman & Hooker already coated look much nicer/thicker than the ones straight from JetHot. I guess the Manufacturers wont accept the half coated stuff.LOL!
I have wondered about this, as Jet Hot sells their pre-coated headers about 20% below the manufacturers with the same coatings. May be a lesson to be learned here!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:12 AM

Last photo:

it seems someone mentioned a ceramic polish from eastwood and I think one from speedway. Anyone tried one of those?
Old 06-16-2008, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

yragat, Mother's works great where the ceramic coating on my Hooker's hasn't discolored.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.